ADVERTISEMENT

Football Couple of things this morning...

Brent_Hubbs

May 29, 2001
In conversations, I still believe that Chancellor Plowman and the administration want to get an AD hire done as quickly as possible and continue to hear it could be done sooner rather than later.

Plowman, Randy Boyd, and John Compton (head of the Board of Trustees) are leading the search. I think they did do some interviews yesterday but I don't know who.

There's still a belief that they are trying to pay big money and swing for a big name. Now some might use Tennessee for a raise in that scenario so who are some quote bigger names?

I don't know who they might be but in googling around Oregon's Rob Mullins seems to come up in every search and he doesn't move. He was a factor at Texas A&M and Florida and is still at Oregon. I don't know that he turned down either one of them but he was in it.

Mark Coyle at Minnesota has some SEC ties. He was on Mitch Barnhart's staff at Kentucky. So there's an SEC tie there. Would there be any kind of interest there? Just a time with an SEC link. I don't think Barnhart has any real interest although if you are paying big money I guess anyone would listen but some people I spoken with don't think there's any way Barnhart moves.

Another guy with SEC ties is West Virginia AD Shane Lyons. He was at Alabama and has a strong compliance background. He is a West Virginia grad so would he want to leave his school? I don't know. But he's apparently pretty well thought of in the AD world.

I don't know that any of them are factors. I'm just spitballing this morning in digging on who a sitting AD at the power 5 level could possibly be if Tennessee is paying that kind of money. It seems like that's the type of candidate they are going after at the start of this search.

Still digging

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News