ADVERTISEMENT

Richard Petty’s legacy

MajorsPuntOn3rdDown

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2016
Knoxville
In 1984 Richard Petty was considered almost like a deity in the racing world. He had an unprecedented 200 career wins. The next closest is nearly 100 less. He won a record 7 championships. His style was smooth and calculated. His personality was regal and gentlemanly. He was THE name in nascar racing.

Later, Dale Earnhardt came to prominence although he had raced since the mid 1970’s. He also won 7 championship's eventually. His racing style mirrored his personality. Frank, in your face, intimidating style.

Today, Petty gets hardly any attention historically. Meanwhile, Earnhardt is considered The Godfather of racing. His personality is glorified as a man.

Why is this? What does this tell us about where America is today? Why do we glorify an in your face personality today when we used to glorify a gentlemanly man? I believe it’s the fact that America has become more violent. UFC fighting, drinking and making an ass of yourself is glorified. Politicians destroying each other. It’s not a white or black thing. Men and women both do it now. It started in the 1960’s. And it’s gotten worse and worse. We as a people are out of control. We are gross and obnoxious. There’s little sense of self control. I’ve been guilty many times as a young adult. I’m in my late 40’s now and see things differently, what works and what doesn’t. So I’m not preaching.

I also believe Dale‘s legacy is certainly shaped by the JFK effect that a violent end to a life cut short. What could’ve been. But beside that is a more nuanced aspect.

Im not saying that Petty is good and Earnhardt is bad. what I’m trying to point out is how we as a culture have embraced one personality and ignored the other. I don’t think the in your face personality makes us a stronger country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News