ADVERTISEMENT

Surprised with the lack of talk about K. Lawrence

In the podcast when discussing the S position. I hope Flowers stays healthy but I’m really hoping that Lawrence shows up this summer and wins that job.
I’m not. You have flaws when you have to start freshmen and DB may be the worst position for that.

I hope he starts but not as a freshman

I’m not. You have flaws when you have to start freshmen and DB may be the worst position for that.

I hope he starts but not as a freshman

I know what you’re saying and generally agree, but if a big-time talent arrives on campus and is better than what you’ve got then that’s a good thing. I wasn’t sorry Eric Berry started as a freshman.

If he earns it, he earns it. Go Vols. Hope all the young guys push the older guys. Regardless, and I assure you the coaches will push for it. Excited to watch the LBs this off season.

Reactions: will134
I know what you’re saying and generally agree, but if a big-time talent arrives on campus and is better than what you’ve got then that’s a good thing. I wasn’t sorry Eric Berry started as a freshman.

Agreed, but he’s arguably the greatest secondary defender that’s ever worn Pantone 151. When a kid steps on campus and is clearly the best choice at a position, it means he’s either a freak or you’re hurting mightily.

McCullough started later in the year this season.

Lawrence is going to get PT. Injuries happen. Even if not he is going to be in rotation

Safety is easier to start than CB. Jalen Ramsey came in and started day 1 at FSU. Think he had a pick on his first drive. I'm not saying Lawrence is Jalen, but he isn't all that far off as athlete and from potential stand point.

Reactions: will134
How does one even know how good Flowers is? He was injured all last season.

I’m not sure we have had a S in the last few years that has the range that Lawrence has displayed on some of his film. Kid looks like a stud

we’ve had two guys since 2006 that were ready to start as frosh (Janzen Jackson being the other), so if he’s a top 3 secondary talent in the last 15 years, then yeah, start him haha.

In the podcast when discussing the S position. I hope Flowers stays healthy but I’m really hoping that Lawrence shows up this summer and wins that job.

They said long ago he’d start out at corner. The kid ran a 4.5. They was when we had Malachi, but we picked up Slaughter in this class.

If he is the superior football player he should start. If the competition is close start the older player just because of the experience. Lawrence will start before the season is over but let him get his feet wet a little at a time.

I was thinking the same thing at first but then recalled the topic was “spring practice” . I agree with you however in that he is likely already within our 4-5 best DB. So it would presume he would start somewhere - I think replacing Nigel with Lawrence would provide long term (potentially Star Quality) stability and leadership to the center of the defense.

Reactions: vols3131
I guess Saban and Belichick hold no weight. Man coverage as a corner is one of the most difficult things to do in football. It’s not debatable.
Never said that it wasn’t. I said it’s the easiest to learn. If the player has the talent and ability then they can do it. Technique is tough to master but assignments are the easiest to learn.

Safety is going to be a great battle in spring and then fall camp. First year Pruitt has had quality depth. Still building program...Key should be a weapon on special teams, gunner, blocking punts, etc...all fast fearless Frosh should...we had guys last year that will be back as well, it has to be a weapon for the mighty Vols.

Reactions: Matt4RockyTop
I mean..... Playing man corner has to be the easiest position mentally in football right.....

"Dont let him get open"

Now, you either have the physical ability to do that or you don't..... But freshman play at corner way more often than safety.

Reactions: hickory90
Never said that it wasn’t. I said it’s the easiest to learn. If the player has the talent and ability then they can do it. Technique is tough to master but assignments are the easiest to learn.

It’s physically harder. That’s all I’m saying.

Reactions: hickory90
we’ve had two guys since 2006 that were ready to start as frosh (Janzen Jackson being the other), so if he’s a top 3 secondary talent in the last 15 years, then yeah, start him haha.

Cam Sutton started immediately

ADVERTISEMENT