ADVERTISEMENT

Thesis idea: Compare and contrast the staff trying to redshirt Santi a couple years ago to them trying to redshirt Aidoo this year

NYC Vol

May 29, 2001
Brentwood
😂

So here's where I'm going with this. Both were seemingly going to RS until an injury forced them into service. Santi, while still learning the college game, immediately became one of our most important players that season. Of course he still struggled with strength, fatigue, turnovers and more. It wasn't the best version of himself but he was able to more than contribute. If Turner doesn't get hurt, I still think Santi plays but there was no doubt once Turner went under the knife. And right away he was one of our best players just based on ability and instinct.

Aidoo is seen as a player that needs time in the weight room, still needs to gain experience, etc. But he has been forced into action. Is it possible he can have a Santi like influence on this team from the 5? Definitely going to make mistakes and have some inconsistency. But could it be a case where his talent, wingspan and ability to disrupt on the defensive end helps us down the stretch?

Certainly not enough to go on with him right now. But I think based on pure talent, he can add something to the post that we don't have right now. Shotblocking above the rim for one. Ability to step out and hit a shot (lost that with ORN). It may be too late for him to get comfortable out there and he might simply not be ready. But you can't teach height and wingspan. Uros plays because he's a big dude. Aidoo is a big dude with a longer wingspan an is more athletic and talented. Perhaps he's been on the bench and redshirting for a reason. But he also was one of the more talented players as a recruit last year. Looking forward to seeing if he can help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News