ADVERTISEMENT

Another observation about youth baseball - All Star Team Selection Edition

swallvol

Jan 13, 2010
My kid wrapped up fun year of 8U baseball in a great league with a great coach. No complaints whatsoever from me b/c my son and I aren't super competitive about it. He's mainly in it for the friendships and the snack after the game (which I am 100% ok with). Little league baseball is amazing and I'll be said when the day comes when he grows out of it or no longer wants to play.

With that being said, is it me or is All Star Team selection often sort of crooked? Please note this is not sour grapes. My kid had no shot (or desire).

Two local leagues I am aware of whose names will go unmentioned:

- One league, I noticed that 8 kids from one team were selected for the All Star team. And that happened last year too. And the coaches are pretty high up in the leadership team of the league. That either means selection is crooked or the draft at the beginning of the season is not fair.
- Another league, if I am not mistaken, every single coach's kid made the team. How is that even possible? I heard this second hand so it's possibly factually incorrect.

Somebody who has been involved in selection. Is it as crooked and political as it sounds at that young of an age?

I'm just fascinated with the insanity of youth sports. I think it'd make a great Netflix doc to camp out in an 8U league somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News