ADVERTISEMENT

BaseVols— Food recommendations for Hoover

rschump00

Dec 31, 2015
My brother lives in Hoover and put together a list of food recommendations for anyone that will be in town for the SEC Tourament.

This is obviously just personal opinion. I would love for other Birmingham/Hoover Vols to chime in with their own recommendations. I left off chains for the most part, though some of these places have multiple locations. Hoover has just about every national chain, in addition to all the items I have listed. I also left off high end restaurants like Chez Fonfon and Highlands in downtown Birmingham, since I don’t typically frequent those locations.
-Distance from the Hoover Met in parentheses
Mexican:
-Iguana Grill (10 minutes) - Classic Mexican with huge portions. Never had a bad meal.
-Chuy’s (15 minutes) - yes it’s a chain, in my opinion it’s still tough to beat.
-Taco Mama (5 minutes) – A Birmingham staple. Tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and more. Queso comes as a side with most menu items.
-There are lots of Taco Trucks in Hoover. Just keep your eyes open as you drive around.
Thai:
-Hoover Food Mart (10 minutes): Located in a converted gas station. Their Pad Thai is unbelievable. I don’t even like Thai food, but this is a must stop. Andy Staples included in his “best food stops in college football” last summer.
BBQ:
-Saw’s BBQ (15-30 minutes depending on location) – Best barbeque in Birmingham, 4 locations around the city. Pulled pork, ribs, smoked chicken, smoked wings, loaded baked potatoes, great sides and more.
-Moes BBQ (3 minutes) – This is a regional chain, but originally from Alabama. Best smoked wings I have ever had. Cornbread, red ranch (served with wings) and baked beans also phenomenal.
-Jim n Nicks (10 minutes) – Also a regional chain originally from Alabama. Cheese biscuits and pork nachos are so good I thought it needed to be included.
-Other great BBQ options that others would say need to be included: Miss Myra’s (15 minutes), Full Moon BBQ (10 minutes), Martin’s BBQ (15 minutes), Johnny Ray’s (10 minutes)
Pizza:
-Tortugas (5 minutes) – Authentic Chicago Style deep dish. If deep dish is your thing, this is your place.
-Slice (15 minutes) – Great NY style pizza served by the slice. Wedge salad with green goddess dressing is awesome if you want something a little lighter (or an appetizer before your pizza).
-Vecchia Pizzeria (10 minutes) – wood-fired pizzas, great outside seating.
Burgers:
-Twisted Root (15 minutes) – Huge, unique burgers, great fries and milkshakes. The homemade ketchup is probably my favorite part of eating there.
-Jack Browns (25 minutes) – This is downtown and a bit longer drive, but worth it. Many would say it’s their favorite place for burgers in Birmingham. Sweet Potato fries are great.
Chicken:
-Super Chix (5 minutes) – Classic chicken fingers and fries, but they also have a variety of chicken sandwiches. The friendly serving staff and wide variety of (free) dipping sauces is what puts it over the top.
-Eugenes Hot Chicken (10 minutes) – A Birmingham original. I am biased to Nashville hot chicken places, but Eugenes is pretty damn good.
-Hattie B’s (25 minutes) – A classic that is tough to beat. Unlike the Nashville locations, the line isn’t always out the door.
Miscellaneous:
-Mr. Chen’s (10 minutes) – Personal favorite for Chinese in Hoover. The spicy chicken and Lo Mein is my go to order.
-Village Tavern (15 minutes) – A little nicer option for dinner, located at the Summit Mall. Steaks, chicken, and seafood. Very similar feel to a J Alexander’s.
-Melt (5 minutes) - Grilled cheese sandwiches are their specialty, but personally I have never had a better buffalo chicken sandwich than here. Patty melt is also one of their favorites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News