ADVERTISEMENT

Ben- On Vol Baseball potential draftees

vols1024

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
For these guys with leverage to come back what IYO makes sense on going vs staying. Just throw a round out there as a breaking type point. I know the money factor in MLB draft makes things wild with overslot stuff. But for sake of this discussion lets go with a round.

Ortega - Thoughts on if he goes? Being a RS Soph he has leverage for next season. After seemingly struggling for a few straight weeks early he has put together a really strong year.

Kid is .339 with a .423 OBP and limited K's. 21 extra base hits. Huge year. Solid defender at 2nd that I am sure can play 3rd and they say he is a good 1st basemen. My comp for him is Yuli Gurriel for the Astros.

Lawson - Kind of an enigma. Really good athlete who was showing a ton of pop early in the year. But his power numbers have dropped a lot and maybe as he struggled he has toned down a little? I think his draft grade comes down to how is he graded as a SS? If he is graded as a good pro defensive SS who is 6'2 200 that is going to get him drafted highly. MLB is focusing on studs at SS now vs the singles hitter who can pick it.

Courtland also has leverage being a RS Soph.

It may not happen but he is a guy who you feel that if he came back he would have a monster year. Just a little more polish at the plate and he is a destroying college pitching. I like his swing a lot.

@Ben_McKee

Reactions: scruise
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News