ADVERTISEMENT

Cain's Corner: Three big takeaways from spring practice

Eric_Cain

Sep 25, 2019
Knoxville, Tenn.
That was quick.

No, I'm not just talking about Tennessee's new offense under Josh Heupel. Rather how the past five weeks have come and gone in a hurry with Tennessee football completing 15 practices and a spring game. There's still plenty of things we don't know about this Tennessee football team (example: starting QB), but here are three things we do.

1. It's going to be fast
The offense that is. 821 yards, 39 first downs, 99 plays - combined by both Orange and White. And there was a running clock from the second quarter on + an abbreviated third frame. That's getting it done.

I said on radio Saturday and leading up to the game that what we see offensively isn't nearly as fast as what's to come this fall - BUT - it would be completely different from what we've been accustomed to the past three years. I think that's fair after watching the scrimmage. The presumed 2s who started the game going up against the presumed first-team defense lined up and ran plays quickly. Hell, I was taking notes and missed a few of those opening plays just by having my eyes on my keyboard.

I think it will get faster the more the quarterbacks and offense in general get comfortable in the scheme. Keep in mind, these guys are literally only 15 practices in with a whole new offense and new coaches. So, it should get faster, but Saturday was a good start. Better than what I envisioned in terms of pace for where they are. On the flip side, we did see a few drives where three-and-outs will kill the clock. That will be the other side of the coin to this offense - when yards are hard to come by.

Overall, the pace was impressive and the overall offense had a good showing.

2. The WRs are a strength
To be honest, I've been blown away by what that group has accomplished this spring. Like me, I don't think the coaching staff really knew what to expect with the wide receiver room this spring. It's a unit that really wasn't that impressive last year (QB play and scheme had a lot to do with it) and going back even two years ago, it's a unit that was carried by a few players.

Credit to Kodi Burns for getting a lot out of that group this spring.

We know what we have in Velus Jones Jr. and Jalin Hyatt for the most part. Those two guys were impressive on Saturday - each hauling in one pass for at least 45 yards - with Jones also finding the end zone. But what fans should be excited about (in my opinion) are the Jimmy's (Calloway & Holiday) who have had good springs, despite the latter being limited with injuries. Cedric Tillman had a good spring and another highlight-reel touchdown grab to end the scrimmage. Newcomer Andison Coby averaged 10 yards per reception Saturday and has impressed in practice. Ramel Keyton has reminded everyone this spring that he's still in the running for some playing time. And I also liked what I saw from early enrollee Walker Merrill, who didn't play Saturday.

Depth at the wide receiver position will be critical in this offense as it employs four or five wide throughout series. I feel like Tennessee feels good about where it is there after seeing that group step up over the course of the past five weeks.

3. The defense won't be great, but it will be better than Saturday
Spring games & intrasquad scrimmages are funny in the fact that you can't please everyone. I think we all walked away from Neyland Saturday with some good impressions on what this offense is capable of. On the flip side, was it because the defense is just bad right now?

First, it's tough for any defense to combat a hurry-up offense - let alone one that is clicking like we saw in the spring game and in the open practice during 11-on-11 periods. Especially when you don't encounter that throughout a season. But at the end of the day, you've got to go out and play some football. Get the call, line up and stop the offense. We didn't see a whole lot of that this spring.

Yes - we know of the injuries and suspensions. And that's not diminishing the fact that there's hardly anyone available to play linebacker. That position alone said goodbye to Henry T and Crouch (portal), has injuries to Banks and Roman Harrison - all while Aaron Beasely and freshman Aaron Willis away from the team right now on suspensions. It was a great opportunity for Kwauze Garland, Morven Joseph and Solon Page this spring - but hardly any playing time combined with those three that includes no starts.

Newcomer Byron Young, who was held out yesterday, has had a nice spring. As has Elijah Simmons who didn't play on Saturday. Greg Emerson and LaTrell Bumphis also didn't play. Darel Middleton didn't play. One of Tennessee's biggest position groups (both size and numbers) was limited on Saturday.

The Vols were able to force one turnover that resulted in a pick-six as Warren Burrell jumped in front of a Hendon Hooker pass and returned it 34 yards into the South end zone. But the defense overall forced only three 3-and-outs with four punts total on the day. And 573 of the combined 821 yards of total offense came through the air.

I do not believe the defense will be anything spectacular come fall, but I do believe it will be better than what we saw this spring. Like the offense, the more the defense reps in this new scheme, it will improve. The more players who come back from injury, it will improve. And the defense could also add some talent between now and fall camp that could help at some positions of need.

We got our first glimpse of what this Josh Heupel-led Tennessee football team is going to look like. But it's not the finished product. A lot of questions still remain as does a lot of improvements that need to be made. All in all, the offense should be better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News