ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of quick hoops notes

Rob Lewis

Aug 27, 2001
Knoxville
tennessee.rivals.com
There have been a ton of questions about Skyy Clark today, here's what I have gathered.

From someone I'll say is close to the situation the description of what I got from the Tennessee perspective is that the Vols are 'kicking the tires.'

Tennessee coaches have met and spoken with Clark. Based on what I can gather, from the nature and depth of their conversations to date I think the Tennessee side was a little surprised to see him go on social media and say that the Vols were in his top six. I don't think Tennessee felt like things had progressed to that point for either party.

Tennessee--and a lot of other programs I imagine--was hoping that Clark would take part in this weekend's Geico Prep School National Championships with his Montverde Academy squad but he apparently has elected not to play. Lots of people would have liked to have had a chance to evaluate him this weekend after he missed so much time with his knee injury.

So, in short, I would say that Tennessee is involved, doing some homework and getting a feel for the situation. I'd pump the brakes on saying anything is about to happen.

On Julian Phillips, that one is far more serious. Phillips is taking part in the Geico event with his Link Year Academy program. The feeling we've gotten is that Philips is going to make a decision pretty quickly and will not be taking any visits before that decision. Barring a change--which could always happen--it sounds like it's coming down to Tennessee, Florida State and USC, the three schools other than LSU that he took official visits to the first time around. This one bears watching for sure but the Vols are in a battle.

Lastly, on transfers, every time a new name shows up in the portal someone wants to know 'Is Tennessee recruiting him.' As of Tuesday evening, March 29, LSU's Brandon Murray is the one guy that I think Tennessee is serious enough about to take right now. Does that mean they aren't looking at other transfers? No. They're literally investigating/evaluating dozens of transfers at the moment and it's a certainty that they'll get serious about some other guys as things develop, but right now it's not a case where they're seriously recruiting dozens of transfers. They've reached out to Murray and are actively pursuing him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News