ADVERTISEMENT

Everything Tony Vitello, Jordan Beck and Camden Sewell said about going to Houston

Ben_McKee

Apr 2, 2021
Going to Texas two years ago for the Round Rock Classic and trying to make a statement once again this year:

“It’s always a little different. We had crazy Alerick back than, and equally crazy, but in a different way, Chad Dallas, so the Texas kids get excited to go back home. For us, it’s about getting a little taste of multi-team environment that has the regional type feel even though It’s not going to quite play out like that and you get to size yourself up how are you against the other high quality teams and at a neutral site. That trip was exciting for our guys because they were so close. The first time you go out on the road you get even closer. Get to spend a lot of time with each other and I don’t see why this group isn’t in the same boat.”

On Pete Hansen/Texas:

“Our offense is fully capable, but tonight showed you that stuff can kind of go up and down. You have to have different ways to win.”

“I’ve been in that tournament before. It’s going to have extra on Thursday night because these kids are going to run around in a ballpark where Albert Pujols hit the homer off (Brad) Lidge, trash cans — and I’m like whatever, those guys (Astros) are pretty talented. It’s a big league park and not just that, but one where there’s a lot of history. The last time I was in there was for game seven of the World Series and I got to touch the trophy. I definitely didn’t earn it, but at least I was down there with the group, including Yan Gomes. So, it starts on Thursday. It’s UCLA and LSU to start on Friday, so our guys will probably be watching in the hotel, and then the next game is two big time teams who could make it to Omaha. The environment starts well in advance, but yeah, Friday will be special and then Saturday as will Sunday. I think it will be like that for every team.”

On what he wants to learn about his team this weekend:

“Just to continue to accumulate repetitions. Again, we’re trying to build up our pitcher’s pitch count… You’ve seen from some guys where they’re inching along and pretty soon they’ll be able to take control of the game, so other than add up some repetitions, just see how guys are when the fire is a little hot. That will be valuable information… I think our guys have a lot of confidence from what they’ve done so far.. Anytime the fire is hot, you get to pull stuff like that. Out of three days, I’m willing to bet two, if not three will have nine full innings of the fire burning just as hot as you want it to.”

“To see how they handle being on the road. We expect our guys to behave a certain way when we travel. You run into fans who are neutral-site fans — I mean our fans are so easy to please and interact with it seems like, but you have to act like a pro in this league. You may even get heckled on the road at a neutral-site, but you it’s going to happen in the SEC. I think this is a preface for what it’s like playing at Hoover, or if we’re fortunate enough to play in a regional — what it’s like in a big time setting in that way? And then between the lines, with the three teams you mentioned, literally two of them will be SEC teams, but you almost get a preview of what’s it going to be like first SEC weekend. I know we’ve played some decent competition so far, but nothing is going to simulate it as much as this particular weekend will.”

On young pitchers throwing in a major league ballpark:

“A big thing is they need to enjoy it. I think Coach Anderson has those guys in the bullpen and has full autonomy as it relates to coaching those guys. I think he’s got a really good feel of when it’s time to crack a joke or when it’s time to calm a guy down. You could go on down the list, but I fully trust he’ll have those guys ready. Maybe I’ll say my piece if I see something, but I don’t think the guy on Friday (Chase Burns) would have gotten the ball on Opening Day unless he kind of naturally — and maybe it’s the home he comes from, whatever, or maybe he knows how good his stuff is. He’s got the calm and the presence of a sophomore or junior. And Chase (Dollander) is new to our program, but he started most of last year. Drew Beam is in the same category. It’s time to include him. Next year, I don’t see why all of those guys wouldn’t be lumped together, so we might as well do it now. He’s got quarterback type presence and again, another kid that comes from another really good family. To me, the key is for those three guys and for all of our guys to enjoy it. It’ll go by fast. It’s our first road trip together, you’re playing in a big league park, you’re surrounded by some of the best teams in the country. I’ve been there before and they do a great job of running it, so play ball and enjoy it.”

On remembering this weekend doesn’t define the season, but also wanting to learn about the team:

“If you’re competitive, and I’m just spouting off-cuff here, if you’re competitive, everything is on the line the next game. You gotta have a little bit in ya of, well maybe this is the last time I’m doing this, or maybe this is our last, and in reality it’s not, so you don’t have to put that much pressure on yourself, but it’s a good way to make sure you’re prepared and then you go out and enjoy it. If you’re going to assess the end of that game like the way we would assess the end of tonight’s game, I think you have to call it — this is the final thing. The sun will come up tomorrow, but for now, we have to stay exactly where we are as a team. We’ll do that Friday night, and then Saturday and then Sunday afternoon as well.”

Jordan Beck on if there’s extra juice facing Texas after the Longhorns ended their season last year:

“Oh yeah. I mean I live for this. This is exactly what I want to do and where I want to be, and play in a park that hopefully I’ll play in one day. I live for those moments.”

“For sure. We’ve got a couple of guys on last year’s team that still have that bitter taste in their mouth and I think we’ve got some freshman that will step up and do their job, so it should be a good game and a fun weekend.”

“We’ve got Chase Burns on the mound and he’s got all of the accolades in the world. He’s been at big parks and played in big places, so I don’t think there’s too much that he hasn’t done before. And he’s got good enough stuff where it won’t really matter anyways.”

Jordan Beck on making a statement this weekend:

“I think that we’re always trying to prove ourselves and prove the program and show what our coaches have done and the recruiting classes they’ve been putting together.”

Jordan Beck on what he wants to learn about his team this weekend:

“Yeah, I want to see what happens when something doesn’t go our way. I think we’ll respond right to it, but it’s also fun to see and with it being early in the year, it’s good learning points if it happens.”

Camden Sewell on if there’s extra juice facing Texas after the Longhorns ended their season last year:

“Yeah. The competition is obviously different, but it’s a good challenge. We’re all looking forward to it and it’s going to be a great experience. It’s just human nature, too. They ended our season last year, so we want to get some revenge.”

Camden Sewell on what we’ll see from Chase Burns, Chase Dollander and Drew Beam against better competion:

“They’re competitiveness. They haven’t had a lot of stressful innings yet, let’s just be honest. I think you’ll see who they really are this weekend and they’ll continue to do what they’ve been doing.”

Camden Sewell on what he wants to learn about his team this weekend:

“How we handle adversity because we haven’t been challenged as much as I think we should yet, so I think it will be good. We’ve had a lot more innings that have been laid back than we have had stressful innings, so this weekend will be really good for us and see what our teams about.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News