ADVERTISEMENT

Going into the off season (Linebackers)

Kbusmce5

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2017
Let's look at the Linebackers,
So, I will give mho of the current roster and observations of the backers entering spring. I'll begin with ILBs,

Jeremy Banks... is the Alpha male of the defense and is only get going to get better as he understands the defense inside and out. He has without a doubt very good football instincts for finding the ball, but like most ILBs struggles at times with coverage.
Off season improvements... Banks need to still add about 15 pounds to be able to hold up against OGs. He really needs to devote himself to understanding passing game concepts and recognizing his keys to better be in position to defend the pass, especially in the middle of the field. He has to learn how to better leverage plays from the inside out, because he has a tendency to over run some plays and has to better fit his gap responsibilities.

Aaron Beasley... Beasley at times made some plays and after missing spring ball, he had some good moments, but also had a lot of terrible ones. He honestly IMHO has the ability to become a capable starter and with good off season just might surprise some folks next year.
Off season improvements... this kid has some ability and as a first year starter had 126 solo/asst. tackles, but he will have to put on another 10 lbs. to hold up. He has to really improve tackling angles, understand how to get better depth on drops in zone coverage, how redirect WRs on mesh routes underneath and how to keep on his feet when tackling. Still needs to work on his speed physically and mentally, as he gains confidence he can be a quality starter or at worse a very capable back up.

Solon Page... Page is everything you want in your program as a football coach on the intangible side of football. What he lacks in pure athletic ability and size, he makes up for it with effort, understanding and passion for the game. Though he wouldn't start for most teams and won't for UT, he can be a spot relief player and help special teams in his last year.
Off season improvements... honestly outside of putting on some extra weight to help him be more physical in the box. His biggest improvement can be as a leader for the younger guys, by showing them work ethic, character and how to be a college athlete on and off the field.

Juwan Mitchell... going to be honest on this young man, I believe he has the talent to be a very good SEC LB. However, for whatever reason, maybe injury, maybe mindset or even just maybe the whole being at a new school out of sorts syndrome. Mitchell just did not seem to fit or adjust very good with the team or defense from the very beginning. Kid may just need a whole off season to square his mind away and feel more comfortable.
Off season improvements... I'll be very frank on this one, I think he first has to decide, Do I want to play on this team? and if so, I need to buy in and get with the program. On, the football side if he stays, he really needs to work on his lower body strength and get his shoulder healthy to really become a force inside. Just continue to learn the playbook, dedicate himself to the game and become part of the solution , not a problem.

Aaron Willis... this was a player when I watch his high school film was a typical inside out backer, what I mean by that is, he was a kid that was physical enough to hold up inside, but fast enough to play side line to side line. I think this kid has the potential to become a very good LB for UT, though he had his issues last off season with the arrest. The kid seems to have grown from that and could be a pleasant surprise this spring.
Off season improvements... like all young players, his second year in the strength program will be huge for his development. At 6' 1", he needs to get up to about 235 to be really able to compete in the SEC and work hard at gaining knowledge within the system. Willis needs to understand he has a couple of guys ahead of him, but not let that deter him from trying to become the starter. He like many young players I coached in the past have a tendency to wait their turn to much bc they are lower on the depth chart and don't prepare or push themselves to be a starter. I use to tell my kids, " 2's need to practice and play like they are 1's" in other words, don't settle or relax bc you are not starting, practice like you are the starter. So, he needs, to grow, study and practice like a starter this off season.

William Mohan... this is a young man that has some real athletic ability, but is honestly very undersized and raw at the ILB spot. However, if you saw him on special teams, his speed and athletic ability is easy to see. He is a kid that honestly needs a red shirt year to become physically ready to play in the SEC and if I was on staff, I would certainly try and talk him into that.
Off season improvements... well for Mohan it really just starts by him beefing up his 210 lb. frame and making the weight gains it takes to play SEC LB. He has to really take advantage of this off season and focus on nutrition, working out and learning the position so he can provide depth and continue to be a difference on special teams.

Kwauze Garland... here is a kid that is another example of what you need in your program, though he will never be a starter and probably not in the 2 deep. His value to this team comes from being on the scout teams and giving your starters the best competition possible. What make the great programs great other than the best players, is they have guys on scout teams giving great effort to make their team better.
Off season improvements.. Garland needs to just continue to gain size, strength and push himself as hard as he can to push the ones in front of him. He needs to show the younger guys that even when you are not a starter that your value to the team is just as critical and important.

Now the Outside guys.

Byron Young... he is just scratching the surface of what he can be as an OLB, his maturity and freakish athletic ability are without question and I fully expect him to have a break out season in 2022. He possesses the speed , strength and quickness to truly become a game planning nightmare for futures offenses.
Off season improvements... first thing he will have to do is to improve his pass rush techniques and expand his moves as a rusher. As a older guy he needs to take even better care of his body and learning to recover after games is an absolute must moving forward as his snaps will increase. He has to get better with his run fits and be prepared to face more double teams this fall. Like everyone gain strength in the off season and work on his flexibility.

Roman Harrison... Roman is a guy that just keeps getting better as an OLB, I truly believe he could have a break season this coming year and be a good compliment to Young. He has speed, size and great strength to be an all 3 down OLB.
Off season improvements.. Harrison needs to add more size this off season and work on better leverage techniques to defeat OTs, with his shorter stature he needs to really work on his bend and quickness to allow him to get past those OTs. Though, he seems to be physically gifted and naturally strong, I do believe he needs to really work more on his lower body strength to help hold up and set the edge on the defense.

Tyler Baron... I'll wait to see what he decides ( Mods said he may still stay) Probably be best if he doesn't IMHO, hard to lead when you are not bought in yourself.

New additions,

James Pearce OLB
Kalib Perry OLB
Elijah Herring OLB
Joshua Joseph OLB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News