ADVERTISEMENT

I think you go Beam against Alabama State in Game 1

vols1024

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
I think he got through a little bit of the freshman wall he hit. And pitching in an NCAAT game is gonna give him extra juice on that fastball.

He was lights out against Kentucky who was the hottest team in the SEC.

I also think another part of this equation was Drew set such an insanely high bar his first 8 or 9 starts that it was never going to be sustainable. He had like a 1.00 ERA and had walked about 6 batters total through his first 9 starts. So when he would go an outing where he gave up 2 or 3 runs and the other team got some hits everyone was like "What is wrong with Beam?"

3 reasons I go with Beam against one of if not the weakest team in the NCAAT:

1) Drew has never given up more than 3 runs in any start or outing over 73 innings. He doesn't walk many which is vital against a lesser team. Less of a chance for them to run into a 3 run HR.

2) The only time Drew has not looked good is out of the bullpen.
- UGA and Miss State-
he came out of the pen and it wasn't great. Those are the outings that have left a little of the "Have the figured him out" thought process. Meaning that having him in your back pocket late in a game isn't as much of a benefit as the other 3 starters. He hasn't shown he is a bullpen guy. Don't save him for a late game spot in Game 2 or 3.

3) Drew relies more on feel that dominance- so going with him against a team that can't take advantage nearly as well if he is "off" vs being "off" against a team like GT is my play. The other 3 can be off and still blow fastballs by great hitters.

Beam has been insanely good all year besides coming out of the bullpen twice in a row late in the year. He doesn't walk guys. His fastball will be popping in a big game. I go with Beam then you have your Dollander and Tidwell with Burns looming out of the pen whenever needed. JMO.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News