ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead at Game 2

7 for all Vols

Nov 4, 2007
Alright everybody .. let’s take a breath and realize this isn’t over. Vols are at home, rarely ever lose back-to-back and got the SEC pitcher of the year lined up for tomorrow.

Good signs from tonight: the Vols, as usual, can get runs on the board against bullpens. That’s gonna be a factor the rest of the weekend, especially if Tennessee can get to Bertrand early Saturday.

If you think about it, we’re five feet from still playing in LNS right now. Beck’s barely missed bomb would’ve changed the whole complexion of that game.

After allowing eight runs in four innings (on 4 homers), the Vols gave up none in the last five.

If Mabrey gets the ball off a half-second earlier on the bunt, Vols get out of that inning before ND hits a two-out, three-run HR.

The umpiring can’t be worse tomorrow (and you’d think we’d see some regression back to the mean).

I should also repeat, Chase Dollander looked like the best pitcher in college baseball his last 2-3 starts before going against Campbell. He has the stuff to go deep into games and silence bats - let’s hope we get that guy tomorrow.

Of note: he should be throwing to Evan Russell again. I’m not saying Charlie did anything wrong last week (Dolly was just a little off), but pitchers are odd birds and even the slightest bit of change can be a hurdle.

so what do we do with the lineup? That’s going to be very interesting - especially when there were probably questions on how we approach the lefty.

I think it’s safe to say Seth Stephenson still leads off…. But I wouldn’t be shocked if Christian Moore or Jorel Ortega (my personal guess) hits second.

Beck stays at No. 3, then you either protect him with Lipscomb or maybe Luc (I wouldn’t considering his noted struggles with lefties).

The rest of the lineup really just shakes out on who plays OF (I won’t say CF because I think that’ll be Seth). Odds are they have to try to use Dickey just to get his bat in the lineup, but he’s a lefty and he’s gotta be a question mark on defense.

If I had to guess:

CF Seth Stephenson
2B Jorel Ortega
RF Jordan Beck
3B Trey Lipscomb
1B Luc Lipcius
C Evan Russell
DH Christian Moore
LF Jared Dickey
SS Cortland Lawson

That’s still plenty of firepower and these guys are going to be FIRED UP to make sure Drew Gilbert gets to see the field again.

See y’all tomorrow afternoon — hopefully the game chat can be a little better in Game 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News