ADVERTISEMENT

New MLB Draft Rankings by Kiley McDaniel at ESPN

Warren

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Plano, TX
11. Drew Gilbert (21.8), CF, Tennessee

Hit: 35/55, Game Power: 30/45, Raw Power: 50/50, Speed: 60/60, Field: 45/50, Throw: 60/60

The No. 1 player among my "so who do you like more than everyone else?" All-Stars for this draft is Gilbert, and the rest of that crew (Zach Neto, Jet Williams, Tucker Toman) are lined up right after him. Gilbert projects a whole lot like Brett Gardner or Adam Eaton; go check their career stats and see if you want that at this juncture in the draft.

Gilbert dramatically improved his exit velos, contact rates and swing decisions this year while playing in the best amateur league on Earth, the SEC. He's the heart and soul of the best college team I've ever seen, and I'd much rather have him a little overzealous with the trash talk than try to get a low-energy guy to act like he cares. This guy is going to be the first non-reliever to the big leagues in this draft, and I think he'll stay there for a decade.

I'm harping today on not focusing on what guys can't do, but also look at Gilbert and tell me something he can't do, other than be 6-foot-5. If I have to bet on one guy in this whole draft beating expectations (most people think he'll get drafted in the 20s), I'll happily push my chips to the middle for Gilbert.

25. Jordan Beck (21.1), RF, Tennessee

Hit: 30/45, Game Power: 35/55, Raw Power: 65/65, Speed: 55/50, Field: 50/55, Throw: 55/55

Beck has a good swing, feel for the bat head, potential 30-homer raw power and tools to maybe even play center field. I have him down here because of poor contact rates driven by poor pitch selection. I think he'll be picked by pick 25 and the upside is huge, but that specific worry is one of the most worrying ones I can have.

52. Blade Tidwell (21.0), RHP, Tennessee

Velo: 94-96 t98, Fastball: 60/65, Slider: 55/60, Curveball: 50/55, Changeup: 50/55, Command: 40/50

Tidwell popped up late in 2020 as a high schooler during the pandemic-shortened season, hitting the upper 90s. He had a solid freshman year but came out late this season because of shoulder soreness. He looked like a top-15 pick in one outing this spring (at Florida) but mostly a late-first to compensation-round pick otherwise because of his reliever risk.

78.Trey Lipscomb(22.0),3B,Tennessee
194.Alex Stanwich(18.8)CFLincoln-Way East HS (IL) (Tennessee)
211.Jorel Ortega(21.4)2BTennessee

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News