ADVERTISEMENT

NIL ..NCAA meeting and stuff

TNmavol

Jan 15, 2005

D-I Council meeting to set stage for NIL report​

Eight months in, name, image and likeness bears little resemblance to what schools expected when the NCAA originally approved it. Now, flummoxed and frustrated, school officials are clamoring for more clarity about booster involvement, pay-for-play and recruiting inducements.

The D-I Council has been given roughly two months to file a report on the effects of NIL on schools and athletes. The council will meet Wednesday for the first time to decide what process they’ll follow to research and write the report. “Everybody has heard from the membership and there’s no structure, no clarity,” said West Virginia AD Shane Lyons, who chairs the D-I Council. “It can’t be pay-for-play, it can’t be for recruiting. But some of the stories that are out there are causing a lot of angst about what’s really happening. The interim NIL policies are not being followed.”

The council will focus on some themes in its research:

• School choice: What role is NIL playing in recruiting, whether it’s high school athletes or college transfers?
  • Deal making: How active can schools be in arranging deals for athletes? Where do they draw the line?
  • What is the effect on athletes’ mental health and their academics?
  • Enforcement: Just how much trouble can schools get into for breaking the temporary NIL rules?
  • Guard rails: Can some of the original rules from the NCAA’s legislation be brought back with running afoul of antitrust laws?
Lyons: “NIL looks a lot different as we sit here on Feb. 22 than what we expected last July. It’s going to look a lot different in August and it’s going to look a lot different when we’re talking about it next year. We didn’t expect these collectives that are popping up. It’ll continue to evolve.”

The D-I Council’s first report is due in April and recommended steps are expected in June.
---https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/en/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-College/2022/02/22?mkt_tok=ODUwLVRBQS01MTEAAAGCxaG-MiAJhvtxGu1cmK2KtenGY3cWfs1tqRjZQQCWsZ3NOnHni55wdNmAKtGgcesrDzgV9ef9tAhfuVLpInRjtGx_NzaG9BUT0kOVr9dZ91mI

Sports Business Journal

--> this was in today's Sports News..... Need to watch how the proposed structure and potential rules evolve.
Remember more schools who can't compete in NIL than schools that can...if a vote "can't competes" might win.

GBO
Ma

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News