ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Success Formula

VolRiver

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2016
Townsend, TN
I was a manager/supervisor for more than 40 years. Done thousands of performance reviews. Taught management within companies and at UT Business School. Here’s my formula for success which I also use to evaluate performance. I tried to make it as clear and straightforward as possible. It is in priority order. What do you think?
1. Treat people with respect. No exceptions. Even that toad, Ted in engineering.
2. Keep a positive, constructive attitude and approach. No false "happy face" or a chronic critic. Just be someone that others want to be around. Or at least, don't hate being around.
3. Work hard. Don't kid yourself, work ethic counts. Time management is a cornerstone of success. There is no substitute for this, even high intelligence, creativity, etc. Except maybe being the owner's son-in-law.
4. Be excellent at your job. Continuously improve your knowledge and skill at executing the job you have right now. There is always room for improvement. Even if you don't like the job - the only way out is in. Make each day a challenge to do the best you can.
5. Don't be afraid to leave. If you have consistently done 1-4 and it isn't working, you may be in the wrong place.

It isn't really complicated or hard. If you just do these basic things on a consistent basis, you will improve your chances of success dramatically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News