ADVERTISEMENT

PRACTICE NO. 5 OBSERVATIONS

Eric_Cain

Sep 25, 2019
Knoxville, Tenn.
Following the Friday OFF day, the Tennessee football team was back out on the practice field on this overcast Saturday morning for the fifth workout of the fall session. It was another shells day – shoulder pads and helmet – as the Vols will go full pads for the first time Sunday morning.

Let’s go over the roll call first. Christian Charles and Cheyene Labruzza continue to practice in red non-contact jerseys. Both have gone through individual and circuit drills this week while media has been present. Jaylen Wright’s status has not changed either – as the sophomore is dressed out but going through work on the side with a trainer.

Kamal Hadden was not out on the practice field again on Saturday as the belief is he’s dealing with a minor hamstring. Obviously with the opener still over three weeks away, you want to get that taken care of and not push it. Offensive lineman Jerome Carvin is taking, what we are calling, a maintenance day – as he’s dealing with a slight ankle deal. It is not believed to be anything serious.

As you can see, the staff is being very careful with their veterans during camp.

On to the field we go and it was good to see sophomore tight end Miles Campbell receiving some praise from Alex Golesh and other offensive coaches during individual. He did a few consecutive reps on the one-man sled and the coaches were pleased with his footwork and intensity attacking the block. It’s noteworthy because the lack of physicality from Campbell has been concerning early in his career.

On the other hand, he continues to look good running routes. He made a real nice catch over the middle of the field on a throw that was high. Going up, high-pointing the football and not losing a step once landing, turning up field to get as many yards as possible.

Willie Martinez and Tim Banks have continued to be impressed with Tamarion McDonald. I’m not saying McDonald will play a major factor in the secondary this season. In fact, I would be surprised if he did. But the Memphis native is now three years in the program – he’s a veteran and becoming a guy that these coaches are trusting more and more. We talk about building up quality depth and this might turn into an example of that.

Back to offense, Jerry Mack was seen spending some 1-on-1 time with transfer running back Lyn-J Dixon. It’s obvious the former Clemson Tiger is behind the eight ball and I would honestly be surprised if he wasn’t. He’s only been here a little over three days. But how quick can he get acclimated? How quick can he feel good in this offense? It’s a priority moving forward with as thin as that group is right now – even when Wright gets back in the fold.

The quarterbacks and receivers were going through routes on air and I’m still not seeing too many balls hit the ground. Jimmy Holiday, Jimmy Calloway and Jalin Hyatt caught my eye with some impressive catches today while the only drop I saw came from Walker Merrill.

The linebackers were going over stance and steps under the cage before shifting to run-reads while the defensive line continued to go through the bag drills with Garner keeping a close, watchful eye.

Tennessee returns to the practice field Sunday morning for a 9 o’clock practice. There’s no media today and tomorrow – so the next time we will hear from players and coaches will come on Monday. And don’t forget, Tuesday is scrimmage No. 1 of fall camp. We will hear from Josh Heupel right after that as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News