ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the SEC head coaches

Rabdoid

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2007
1. John Calipari - Recruiting and now retaining players is the most critical skill in college hoops. Squid is the best recruiter in the sport with K out. He lost Sharpe, but kept Tschiebwe which is the least good news coming out of any of our rivals this offseason (in any sport).

2. Rick Barnes* - Most consistent coach in the league with the most college experience.

3. Bruce Pearl - I for one enjoy these brief periods of no NCAA cloud hanging over our head. Could entertain moving him to the 2 spot if he has another great year (and we do not) now that cheating has essentially been legalized.

4. Eric Musselman - Probably going to end up at the top of this list eventually. Experienced, knows the League, can coach many styles, hot black wife. That's before the recent recruiting chops he's shown. Trajectory is undeniable.

5. Buzz Williams - Did you know A&Ms most prolific player was also named Bernard King? A&M has had one good stretch in their history. VT was bad before Buzz got there and has been good since he built up that program. A lot of strong competition for recruits in Texas.

6. Mike White - The University of Florida is in a death spiral in academic circles. I have to think some of that bled over into sports creating a poor environment for success. Everyone in his family has been successful, and with his connections, he will be too.

7. Matt McMahon - From our very own Buzz Peterson's coaching tree. Based on that you'd probably want him towards the bottom, but he has shown he knows how to win. I think he probably got lucky with Morant and may struggle to recruit, but LSU is the biggest cheater in college sports and they aren't stopping until you close the college.

8. Nate Oats - Great coach but doesn't really have connections in the South. Bama is the most cash-rich (not investments/endowments) University due to football success so they will find a way to be good with their money.

9. Dennis Gates - I expect this will be Leonard Hamilton's last year at FSU and that he'll do what he can to support Gates with recruiting connections and advice. They are very close. Probably has the most potential to build a powerhouse along with Muss and White.

10. Lamont Paris - That Bo Ryan coaching tree is looking pretty strong of late. Maybe some UT-C fans that want to weigh in on this one.

11. Chris Jans - Seems like a really good coach. Has never lived or worked in the South though. Will he get enough time to build a recruiting base, probably not.

12. Kermit Davis - Kermit proved as much as one can prove that he can beat mid-major talent. Unfortunately for him the SEC has been on a meteoric rise coinciding with his time at Ole Miss and there's just too many elite athletes to win in the league at this point without elite athletes of your own.

13. Jerry Stackhouse - Stack appears to have some coaching competency. I wonder if UNC somehow got him in the door there to further their coaching tree options, and with that would continue to support him (the Carolina family).

14. Todd Golden - No one with options wants to work for the University of Florida at this time.

*Assuming CRB will participate in NIL deal for players

Just something fun to discuss while waiting on transfer news.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News