ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Story VFL Greg Amsler Told Me

Stoney419

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2002
After posting about where VFL Greg Amsler was and what he is doing I said I would post a few more Amsler stories for time to time. I had not done it yet and someone reminded me yesterday. Below are a couple more. Some other time I have at least two more I will post.

When Greg worked for me (like I said earlier) we often talked about UT football. He told me a little about his recruitment. He did a recruiting trip to Iowa when Hayden Frye was head coach there. Haden was looking at Greg and commenting on how big he was and they might be able to put some weight on him and he could play in the DL. Greg said he knew right then he was not going to Iowa. Penn State was recruiting him more as a linebacker. He wanted to play running back and Tennessee promised him a chance.

How Greg got started playing golf.

Greg had loaned one of his teammates at UT some money. The teammate was having a hard time coming up with the money and offered Greg his set of golf club instead. The best I remember Greg said he had never played golf before he took the set for payment. Greg took them and started playing a little. After he come to work for me we played quite a bit after work. With his athletic ability he improved rapidly as was down to a 2 or 3 handicap a before he moved on. He said he does not play much now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News