ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts...

Brent_Hubbs

May 29, 2001
Sounds like the offensive tempo gave some of the newcomers on defense some challenges today and it sounds like Tennessee's between snap speed has gotten faster in year two as you would expect.

Everyone notes that Hendon Hooker is playing well. Jeremy Banks did get him today on the pick. But feeling I get is that is was a better play by Banks than it was poor play by Hooker.

Bru McCoy didn't scrimmage as Austin noted. It should be noted that has nothing to do with his eligibility. There's no situation where McCoy would have to be pulled off the practice field like in the old clearinghouse days. I don't get the sense there's much worry about it. When it will be resolved is unknown. My guess is it will be in the next 10 days or so.

I don't think it's been a great 2-3 days for the receivers overall. They haven't been bad, but they have had some balls hit the ground that didn't happen the first few days of fall camp. They made some plays today but left a few out there as well with some drops.

As for left tackle, Austin has been saying it for several weeks both Crawford and Mincey will play early in the season and I agree 100%. No one is running away with the job.

At running back, Jabari Small just keeps plugging along making plays. Small is bigger and is having a really nice camp. Dylan Sampson is the other guy who keeps making some plays and generating buzz. Justin Williams-Thomas has been solid as well. He's continuing to get better. Dixon is trying to catch on to the offense. They will need several of them this fall.

On defense, the front is better off the edge. Tyler Baron is playing better and playing more. Young continues to make some plays. The two young ends Josephs and Pearce has shown their skillset. Josephs is probably ahead of Pearce because he's more polished coming from the HS program he played in. Vols are going to get some help from them. Next couple of weeks are big to push them to be ready.

They have more bodies in the defensive interior but Garner is looking for more plays out of them. Remember a year ago they were not very good in the early part of camp and really got better. They are better now than they were in camp a year ago and history says Garner's guys get better throughout the year.

In the secondary, competition is on. So we will see. Christian Charles may end up being the corner opposite of Burrell as Hadden continues to miss practice. I think they are pretty unsettled at corner and star as they try to sort things out.

Also appears like they got through the scrimmage injury free. Some bumps and bruises I'm sure, but doesn't seem like anything of any concerns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News