ADVERTISEMENT

Sports News.........

TNmavol

Jan 15, 2005
Top Stories​

• Six weeks after announcing his retirement from the NFL, quarterback Tom Brady reversed course, declaring on social media that he would return to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 2022 season. Brady, whose comeback announcement came just prior to the start of the free-agent negotiating period today, will need a new contract with the Buccaneers and will receive a deferred signing bonus of $15 million that was due to him last month before he retired. (Tampa Bay Times)
  • Gonzaga, Arizona, Kansas and Baylor claimed the No. 1 seeds in the 2022 NCAA men's basketball tournament, the first non-bubble edition of the event since 2019, when the selection committee announced the 68-team field yesterday. Meanwhile, South Carolina, Stanford, North Carolina State and Louisville were named the top seeds in the NCAA women's basketball tournament, and the committee's decision to place Connecticut close to home the No. 2 seed in the Bridgeport, Conn., region has been met with controversy. (The Washington Post)
  • Louisiana State University fired men's basketball coach Will Wade and associate head coach Bill Armstrong for cause on the eve of the NCAA men's basketball tournament after the school received a notice of allegations from the NCAA in which Wade is accused of five Level I violations and one Level II violation related to the payment of recruits and lack of cooperation with the subsequent investigation. Both Wade and Armstrong could receive show-cause penalties for their conduct in the violations, which would effectively bar them from coaching for a period of time. (The Baton Rouge Advocate)

Chart Review​
2022 March Madness Predictions
FiveThirtyEight

CHECK the LINK above...very interesting--Ma

College Sports

NCAA to Distribute $625M to D-I Conferences, Schools
Amanda Christovich, Front Office Sports
Every year, the NCAA distributes about 60% of its total revenue — most of which comes from the Division I men's basketball tournament — to D-I schools and conferences. This year, the NCAA will pay out more than it ever has to D-I schools.

University of Cincinnati, AAC working on settlement that allows UC to join Big 12 early
Keith Jenkins, Cincinnati Enquirer
The AAC has an exit fee of $10 million and requires its members to give a 27-month notice of departure. If a school leaves before 27 months, the exit fee increases to a negotiated amount.

University of San Francisco fires longtime baseball coach after ex-players sue over fired assistant's conduct
Michael Nowels, Santa Cruz Sentinel
Longtime USF baseball coach Nino Giarratano has been fired after a lawsuit filed Friday by ex-players alleged a pattern of sexualized and abusive behavior from an assistant coach. USF alleges Giarratano allowed the fired assistant onto the team's baseball field last week, more than two months after his termination.

Georgia hires Mike White: Bulldogs poach next men's basketball coach from SEC rival Gators
Kyle Boone, CBS Sports
Despite his early success at Florida, impatience with White grew in recent years due to a combination of the team's on-court performance, lack of recruiting success and uneven roster.

Mizzou fires men's basketball coach Cuonzo Martin after five seasons
Chris Kwiecinski, Columbia Daily Tribune
Martin was fired on Friday after a disappointing 12-21 season, which ended when LSU jettisoned Missouri out of the Southeastern Conference Tournament on Thursday.

---Morning Consult
GBO
Ma

Reactions: Firstcheckerboard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News