ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice No. 13 Observations

Eric_Cain

Sep 25, 2019
Knoxville, Tenn.
Tennessee hit the practice field for the 13th time Tuesday morning as it was a wet, muggy morning on campus. The Vols will conclude practice this morning, scrimmage tomorrow and then that’ll be it for contact work this spring.

As far as attendance, it was about the same as Monday with a few exceptions. Cooper Mays, Christian Charles and Julian Nixon were back out there again today, though Charles sported a yellow non-contact jersey. Joining in the yellow jersey club was Charles Nimrod once again, and of course, Juwan Mitchell.

I did not see Justin Williams-Thomas out there today. He was in a yellow jersey on Monday and looked well when speaking to the media after practice. We did not see Jabari Small or Cedric Tillman once again and Dayne Davis was not dressed out.

One interesting note that I want to hit right at the top: Princeton Fant was seen with the running backs during the first part of individual period. This was right after stretches inside the Anderson Training Complex while the backs were going over mesh points with quarterbacks and then hitting the cones for outside zones.

It’s how they begin every practice. Fant played running back for a minute, once upon a time – as well as about five other positions throughout his Tennessee tenure before settling in at tight end. With Jabari Small and Justin Williams-Thomas banged up, maybe they wanted another body over there. Maybe they want to give him a look for short-yardage. I don’t know, but we can ask Josh Heupel what’s up tomorrow.

The defense did their normal routine during individual, hitting the bags under the cage, working on stances and steps with reads and doing ball drills in the secondary. As we were walking off the practice field, they were setting up for ‘victory drill,’ so the pads were about to pop. Tyler Baron looks quick, smooth in drills.

I spent a lot of time over with the quarterbacks, receivers and tight ends as that group was throwing routes on air. They began the session focusing on slants before channeling in on option-routes, stemming back for an in or running through for a post.

Hendon Hooker and Joe Milton both looked good. Even Milton couldn’t overthrow Squirrel. Keyton and Hyatt both excelled today in the drill. Julian Nixon dropped one pass while Tayven Jackson looked good but missed on one deep ball to Jimmy Holiday.

This was the final practice for us to take in as the team will be scrimmaging for the third time tomorrow morning. Heupel will meet with us afterwards. Coming up later at 11:20, Willie Martinez will speak to the media. He’ll be followed by Desmond Williams and Christian Charles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News