ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts

RockyTopRowdy58

Nov 8, 2006
Rewatching the first half vs SC.

Hyatt played tough. That's the biggest missing piece for him and great to see.

We are utilizing a lot of twists and stunts on the DL. Trying to get pressure in the QB's face, and were pretty effective in doing so. Makes sense, we don't have a great pass rush off the edge so do what you can to create some chaos.

Byron Young continues to get better. His size, strength, and athleticism are obvious. His stance sucks (at a minimum its inconsistent) which means his get off sucks too.

Harrison is getting more active as well.

Loved seeing Jones line up in the back field. Its a small thing but just another wrinkle for defenses to prepare for. Ole Miss plays very small on defense I think we could see Tennessee pack it in a little more and try to take advantage of some size and numbers in the box. So TE's, extra RB's, Jones in the backfield, etc. could be something we see this week.

South Carolina is 38th in total defense, Ole Miss 102nd, Tennessee is 45th, Arkansas is 39th.

Heup continues to get people wide ass open every single week. Just watched Peyton catch a bomb all alone in the endzone. No hard hitting diagnoses here, just a tip of the cap to our ball coach.

Turnage struggles to get off blocks on the perimeter. He made some plays but its clear to me why he's 3rd string. I'm not down on his potential at all, but Slaughter and Jackson show a much better ability to diagnose and disengage a blocker on the perimeter. He's a good tackler when he can get off blocks and runs really well. He runs better than the other guys in front of him.

Loved the simple zone read with lead blocking from the TE. Take SC's best defender and don't block him. Make him decide what he wants to defend and go somewhere else with the ball. Simple. Effective. Smart.

Some loose run fits from LB's and Safeties this week and SC was able to gash us some. Going to need to tighten that up in a big way against Ole Miss. They're running game is similar to ours. Ole Miss is 5th nationally, Tennessee 7th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News