ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Hendon Hooker tops program record in Vols win over UT Martin

My story on Hendon Hooker being the new program record holder for consecutive games with a touchdown pass:

Football 2023 Meigs County (Tenn.) linebacker Luke Pendergrass recaps Knoxville visit

2023 Meigs County (Tenn.) linebacker Luke Pendergrass was at Neyland Stadium last Saturday for Tennessee's game against UT Martin.

I caught up with the All-State defender to gather his thoughts on the visit and see how his high school season has gone so far.

Login to view embedded media
On the atmosphere in Knoxville: "It was a a great atmosphere, and to have a fan base sold out for a noon game just goes to show how much support the fans have for the team."

– On his high school season: "My high school season has gone pretty well. I got named All-State at linebacker. We have a big game this week against Marion County for the No. 2 seed in the region. My freshman and sophomore years we went to state. This year has stood out to me though because being the senior leader you have to make sure everyone is doing the right thing to prep for Friday nights and to make the big plays when needed."

– On Tennessee's hot start to the season: "Tennessee’s hot start is like no other team has done before. A lot of people had doubts for Tennessee this year, but Coach Heupel – along with his staff and the team – have been out to prove to the world what they are capable of. I believe they have a shot at being named CFP champions at the end of the season."

Login to view embedded media
Reactions: phinsvol

Football Kentucky coach Mark Stoops previews Tennessee

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops met with the media Monday to preview Saturday's game at Tennessee.

Here are some key notes and quotes from Stoops' comments on the Vols:

– Stoops called Tennessee "a team that is absolutely playing on fire right now." On the offense specifically, he said the Vols are "playing incredibly high right now – just with their tempo, the way they're playing at quarterback, across the board." He made it clear that "they're extremely hard to defend."

– Stoops said Tennessee's defense is "getting big-time stops when they need to" and is good about getting pressure on the opposing quarterback.

– Stoops on playing Tennessee: "Obviously, a big challenge ahead of us. I think the bye – hopefully – came at a good time for us."

– Stoops said the Vols have wide receivers that "can really run" and "a quarterback that's playing at the level he is and how accurate he is" and that "gives them a lot of space."

– Stoops on facing the No. 3 ranked team in the country: "I think it's human nature when you're playing a team that's playing this well, you better play at a high clip or you'll get embarrassed. They can play very fast, they're scoring points on everybody. When you're playing the No. 1 offense in the country, you better be locked in."

– Stoops on the rivalry with Tennessee: "Every game for us is important. I've always said (the Tennessee game) is important – of course it's important. It's an SEC East team that we have go on the road that's very close in proximity. It's important."
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT