ADVERTISEMENT

10 things I think I learned....

Brent_Hubbs

May 29, 2001
  1. Tim Banks finally went for broke — After not recording a sack in the first three quarters, Tennessee recorded 3 in the fourth quarter. Tyler Baron got one and Byron Young got 2. Young got one on a stunt and beat a back up tackle for another after Will Levis was forced off his spot by a blitzing linebacker. But the story was Banks going for broke on the final set of downs. After the defense gave up 4th and 24 on a horrible play by Kamal Hadden and only rushing three, Tim Banks said he wasn’t going out like that. I have no idea why Hadden who was lined up 22 yards off he ball, backed up when the ball was snapped. But after that blunder, Banks on the final four defensive snaps blitzed every down. He brought 5 on first down and hit Levis. He brought 5 on second down and hit Levis. He brought 6 on third down and got pressure in Levis’ face and on 4th down, Banks brought 6 and hit Levis.

It was simple, Banks wasn’t going to let coverage beat him so he just rolled the dice and went for broke. It paid off with the game winning stop.

2. The switch route is good for Josh Heupel — On Tennessee’s second touchdown of the game, Velus Jones went 72 yards for a score as Heupel got Jones wide open on one of the staples of his offense — the switch route. Heupel ran a different version of it in the Florida game where he stacked Javonta Payton behind Jacob Warren and Payton got outside of Warren and created separation for a 75 yard score. But it’s still a switch route. It’s a play that’s not just been successful this year for the Vols, but it’s been a mainstay for Heupel for years to get guys open against man coverage.

3. The middle of the field is the great divide —I had the stats in Friday’s 10 things I think. Power 5 quarterbacks were completing 72% of their throws over the middle. Levis had a field day over the middle going 22 of 35 for 236 yards and 3 TD’s. Outside the hashes, he was 10 of 15 for 132 yards and a pick six. Bottom line is that Tennessee’s safeties struggle in coverage. Their lack of speed is apparent and the linebacker’s coverage in zone drops has been an issue all year minus Jeremy Banks’ interception at Missouri. I mentioned this after the Alabama game in that I’m surprised it took teams this long to really attack the middle of the field, but that was certainly Alabama and Kentucky’s focus. The last two games the opposing quarterback are 44 of 59 for 521 yards in the middle of the field. Safe to say it’s a problem.

4. Cedric Tillman is good — I have said it and will continue to say it, I never dreamed that Tillman would be this productive in a Tennessee uniform. But he’s just been fabulous after Alex Golesh and Josh Heupel trimmed the receiver rotation and somewhat forced the ball his way. Tillman has been targeted a team high 52 times and is tied for the team lead with 36 catches. Since the Florida game when the rotation was cut, Tillman has 28 receptions for 547 yards and 4 TD’s. The first four games he had 6 catches for 78 yards and a score.

Why more targets? He’s Hendon Hooker’s security blanket and why not. His catch on the sideline with :02 seconds to go in the half was just a great catch. His foot work in the fourth quarter on his two catches were great. He’s full of confidence. His route running has been good and has gotten even better. The guy has just become a really productive player.

5. Heupel’s end of the half aggressiveness was key to win — If you do any research or rewatching of Josh Heupel’s coaching career you known it’s all gas and no breaks. So when Kentucky had a couple of drops including one on fourth down to give Tennessee the ball at their own 39 with :16 seconds to play, you knew Heupel would be aggressive. His quarterback and Tillman were perfection in clock management. After a come back route where Hooker showed off his arm, Tennessee worked combination routes with Velus Jones and Tillman to the short side of the field to get into Chase McGrath’s range and it paid huge dividends as McGrath’s 43 yard kick was good and was the difference in the game. Terrific management by the offense. You could not have drawn the execution up any more perfectly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News