ADVERTISEMENT

4/6/1862

antlfgrnd

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
i love tim smith's work. whenever i'm in the cemetery i think about grant standing there in the rain watching buell's men come off the landing, thoroughly confident in what was about to happen.

John Rawlins later indicated that Buell came to Grant while he was at the landing and asked what preparations he had made for withdrawing. “I have not yet despaired of whipping them, general,” Grant replied. Although Buell later denied it, the mentality fits each of the actors. More believable were the accounts of Grant’s own officers. “Shall I make preparations for a retreat?” Lt. Col. James McPherson asked Grant. “Retreat? No!” Grant responded, “I propose to attack at daylight, and whip them.”

In particular, Sherman was man enough to admit he was thinking in terms of retreat. He came to Grant under his tree in the rain with the idea of broaching the subject, as “the only thing just then possible, as it seemed to me, was to put the river between us and the enemy and recuperate.” At the last minute he became embarrassed and blurted out, “Well, Grant, we’ve had the devil’s own day, haven’t we?” A determined Grant, his mind already made up, responded, “Yes, lick ’em to-morrow, though.”

https://www.historynet.com/lick-em-to-morrow-though-first-day-at-the-battle-of-shiloh.htm

my family lived on snake creek just north of the battle. i hope to eventually figure out exactly where wallace figured out how lost he was and turned around. i think he had to be out near my folks. my great-great-great-grandmother was alone on 400 acres with four kids. her husband was a prisoner after fort donelson. i can't imagine what she went through.

here's a big ole playlist of shiloh videos

this map is a great resource as well

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1rvoDKUoTzHqn4ovcO4fUQi3GTi-VpSZx&ll=35.138780984396874,-88.35770001952645&z=14

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News