ADVERTISEMENT

A couple final thoughts on the App State

P_Fortenberry

Gold Member
Jun 14, 2010
Maryville, TN
tennessee.rivals.com
I'm sure everyone is ready to move on, but I posted my first half thoughts Friday and wanted to post some final thoughts before we really move on.

First off, Tennessee stayed behind the chains a good deal of the night. The Vols only had four of 16 third downs all night that were 3rd and 4 or less.

Tennessee absolutely leaned on the run in the second half to mixed success. They only threw the ball 11 times in the second half and overtime on the same amount of plays that they threw 18 times in the first half.

It would be interesting to have a frank conversation with DeBord or Jones and just ask just how much they decided to lean on the ground game after what happened with the pressure in the first half and the terrible interception. I really think that made DeBord want to lean on the run even more.

But, it just became predictable. Zone right became a staple. And, I don't think I saw them throw out of under center. App State caught on to that pretty quickly after Tennessee had some early success with it.

The more I watched Marcus Cox, the more I think he's really good tailback. The guy has over 4,000 career yards and for good reason. He has great vision.

But, their scheme also messed with Tennessee's linebackers. I know the defensive line didn't play great, but the linebackers really played on their heels, particularly DK Jr. He didn't have a good game I though.

Tennessee didn't tackle well at all during the first half. I wonder if that was a byproduct of not having more scrimmages in August or just shaking off rust.

It's interesting, I don't feel the same after re-watching the game. I do think Tennessee held back and I wonder if the Thomas ankle deal caused them not to pull like we've seen in the past (the only player I saw them pull all night was Wiesman. May have missed Jashon, but didn't record it).

Now, they better get some things cleaned up for sure and will have to be more multiple on offense against Virginia Tech.

This may sound funny, but I actually think Virginia Tech is a much better matchup. They are more of a downfield passing game and I don't know if they will throw those option looks at them that slowed down Tennessee's ends and linebackers. That could help the Vols play much faster.

Offensively, one thing to watch is Virginia Tech's secondary. They had three interceptions against Liberty. But, they only had one sack and two tackles for loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News