ADVERTISEMENT

Barnes' Identity and Evoloution

VolRiver

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2016
Townsend, TN
Last night that looked like a Rick Barnes basketball team, but with a twist.
A lot of people like to characterize Barnes as stubborn and set in his ways. I don't see it that way. I think he's a coach who will adapt to changes in the game and his personnel, but he is focused first and foremost on winning games, i.e., "What approach gives us the best chance at winning the most games?" That may sound axiomatic, but I think non-coaches lose sight of that mindset when commenting on coaches' performance.
If you look back at his career, he's always put an emphasis on tough, physical play from every position but especially the front court. He grew up in the Big East and that's really the style he's always coached. But this year, he's trying some new things, probably responding to the analytics-based "three or rim" offensive approach that so many successful coaches are using. Have you noticed that they are not taking mid-range jumpers (like, at all)? He's spoken in previous years about wanting to use that offense but didn't feel he had the shooters to make it work yet. Gotta have 3 or 4 guys who can shoot 35%+. This year, he thought he had them. He also brought in some new, young coaches who can teach that offense. It's been a bit of a rough go, the shooters haven't come through like he thought and (I think) they are still installing set plays.
Last night it came together. Good enough shooting and post offense to space the floor. Rick Barnes/Mike Schwartz defense. That could be awesome as this team moves toward March.
Of course questions remain: Will he wear players down trying to win regular season and SEC tournament games? Can Uros continue to be effective as the league adjusts to his presence? But overall I like the direction of this team and am optimistic about the program in future years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News