ADVERTISEMENT

BaseVols- Few postgame notes from Tennessee's season opening win

rschump00

Dec 31, 2015
Tennessee 5 8 1
Georgia Southern 3 4 1

I thought Chad Dallas was really good tonight. His numbers won’t look nearly as great with those two earned runs, but Dallas no hit Georgia Southern for six innings and surrendered just one walk.

Dallas final line: 6.1 innings, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts.

Was a little surprised to see Russell not be in the starting lineup on opening day. I expect Scott, Russell, Gilbert and Beck all to split time in the outfield, but Vitello going with the younger Scott and Gilbert surprised me a little bit. And that should excite Tennessee fans. Russell is a solid player but Gilbert and Scott definitely have a higher ceiling and Vitello showing trust in them is a good sign.

It’s one game, so obviously far from hitting the panic button, but Tennessee’s 16 strikeouts is a number that you want to see go down. Credit GS reliever Tyler Owens though, he was really good and kept Tennessee off balance for 4.2 innings while striking out 10 batters.

Jordan Beck was the offensive MVP of the night, going 2-for-4 with three RBIs. His solo homer off Owens was the only success Tennessee had off the right hander. Beck makes this offense a lot more dangerous when he’s hitting. Rucker, Beck, Lipcius and Pavolony in the middle of the lineup gives the Vols lineup some serious firepower.

One final thing, Redmond Walsh looked like the All SEC reliever he is in his first appearance of the year. He got two swinging strikeouts and a weak grounder to earn his 12th career save. The former Alcoa standout has now surrendered just seven earned runs in his last 58.1 innings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News