ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Bartoo on Heupel

tothecheckerboards

Aug 27, 2014
So on a whim i DM’d Dave Bartoo (cfb matrix) asking him his thoughts on Heupel hire at Tennessee. He dm’d back his number and said “call me”

So I did. I took notes we talked for 33 minutes. It was really cool. Here is the short hand of our conversation:

answered the phone “#1 Danny White fan club” haha

then went strait to work

Heupel Top 20 scoring efficiency 3 strait years

Defensively not great at hiring so far. With SEC money he should be able to build a great staff.

Needs someone older and seasoned to Handle all the shit that’s about to happen. I figured white would hire someone like bill obrien, strong leader to lead through this jungle.

First hire Needs to be Mike McIntyre as DC. He’s lead multiple teams through the mud and came out clean and won a lot of games in the process.

Needs to keep special teams analyst, Vols special teams are great. (???)

Will people (potential staff) believe that Heupel can win at Tennessee?

In Kevin Steele: Kevin is such a fvcker , probably as bad as Jim leavitt

Kevin will probably headed to bama, on second thought he could work at Tennessee. (Decided that since White and Heupel are buds it could work since Kevin couldn’t wedge between them)

I thought white would hire an older experienced guy that can deal with the problems coming down the pike. Bill obrien. (Second time)

Shane Beamer will Be the biggest fvcking disaster hire in 3 years. New OC SUCKS, if they give up 24 points in any game they lose. Tennessee in the current climate should win minimum of Vandy SC 3 non conference, Mizzou every year. Isn’t impressed with Kentucky either or their trajectory.

Positive about Vols. Is sitting in a Vols shirt right now. Heupel has great track record on offense. Needs recruiters. Not the best recruiter (also said who know because he’s been at UCF) Needs Rodney garner and the safeties coach that just got let go by Michigan (?)

Dan and Todd are not great (talking about Florida now) Says he consulted UF AD when hiring coach a few years ago. He wanted Kelly. Told him no you need Mullen. Says now if Mullen leaves they have more coins in their pocket and have more leverage to make the next hire.

Kirby defensive genius, can’t get offense correct, opportunity is there for Tennessee in the East.

Everybody gonna have a better staff than SC, they’re fvcking awful

Kentucky sucks, their OC is awful and the dc is worse than the oc. Doesn’t know why people think they were good.

Lane is a complete psycho. Great offensive mind, kind of stops there

A lot of vol people wanted lane back, no no no not good, he’s psycho

Lebby can’t stand being at ole miss, he’ll join Heupel in Knoxville if asked. He’d come.

This is all defense (Heupels new staff). Fulmer and pruitts fault. White needs to talk a lot about how bad they made it and how hard it will now be for him to turn around. Some is pruitts fault, all is fulmers.

Jim Chaney has never been good. For every up year he has 2 down. There was no buyout to get him to leave Georgia was there? Did they give a shit he left? No. If he wants to keep coaching he may go help handle details at Arkansas but he won’t call plays.

Vols need to get Kubic from southern miss, need to get him on staff as passing game coordinator. Cheap, available, very good coach.

Lot of opportunity to franksnstein a staff. Year 3 opportunity to win 9 games. opportunity to make bowl all 3 years.

Speculated our penalties would be 3 years of 5 loss Schollys.

Pruitt sucked, but it’s all Fulmers fault.

Needs to keep Special teams analyst and Only on field coach i would keep is the tight ends coach.

I thanked him for his time he said no problem, he went to SEC media days a couple years back and guys he’d interacted on twitter with (Travis, sallee, one of the espn guys I can’t remember who) and they were dic*s to him. He vowed he wouldn’t be one of those guys.

Not a bad end to this odd day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News