ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Majors: Straight Ahead

CladInBigOrange98

Gold Member
May 7, 2018
Finally had time to sit down and watch this. I thought it was pretty good, wish they would’ve went a little more in depth on his playing days, the Heisman snub, and his return to coach at TN. But for something thrown together pretty quickly I thought it was good.

I was born in ‘88 so I didn’t really know much about Majors or his HC days. Just things I’ve read online. For those that were around at the time how big of a deal was it for TN fans that he was returning home to be the HC? Did people turn on him in the early years when we struggled?

He had to have been one of the best recruiters in the country because those late 80’s teams were LOADED. I never knew he changed the game in the SEC by throwing it more. He turned TN into WRU. Feel like one of those late 80’s teams should’ve been national champs.

You could tell how crushed/mad he was to have been pushed out as HC. But it was time IMO.

I honestly feel like we should rename Gate 21 “Johnny Majors Entrance” and our a statue of him there with murals of his playing and coaching days. JMO.

Anyone have any good stories or memories or Majors and his coaching days?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News