ADVERTISEMENT

Just finished re-watching the game and a few observations.

Volstorian

Sep 18, 2011
tennessee
First, and I think this bears mentioning for a couple of reasons. Two guys had by far career days for their school, and those two guys are Eman Moseley, and Colton Jumper.

In fact the biggest play of the game in my opinion came from these two guys. To start the second half, we get the ball, and Dobbs has the pick. Florida gets possession, and if they drive and score, the game is OVER. However, they are faced with a 3rd and a long one, short 2. They run outside zone, and Barnett does a good job of fighting over the top of #78's reach block, but Eman diagnoses the play and pipes it down in there to set the edge which in turn causes #25 to stick his foot in the ground and start up field. Before he has a chance to take that step, Colton, who'd shed a good blcok from the backside guard, scrapes down the line and meets him as soon as he sticks his foot in the ground to climb up field.

Just a fantastic play and defended to a "T". If Shoop were going to draw up how to defense that play, he couldn't have drawn it any better.

The offensive line played much better and even though they were beaten a couple times, they really stepped up to the level of competition they were playing. The few times they were just beaten seemed to be a communications issue rather than a physical issue.

One of the Offensive lines main problems in my opinion, is they don't keep their head and eyes up. In fact, 90% of the time they are literally blind to who/what they're blocking. A great example is Venzell Boulware, who played fantastic in his snaps, save 1 play. It just happened to be a BIG one. The goal line cluster early in the game, we were running inside zone with Hurd and FL was in a split front with 2 d linemen in each a gap, and two d linemen in each c gap. so they had two 1's, and two 4 I's. A lineman who has played some will expect a backer to not only fill that B gap, but in a goal line or short yardage situation, they will almost always "blitz", or downhill fill that gap forsaken any other responsibilities. Venzell blocks it just like he is supposed, as he can't zone step it because there are 2 a gap players. He is supposed to, and does "stem" the 1 tech, and Dylan is working to overtake, as Venzell should be climbing up to the next level. Instead Venzell turns his head inside, and then back out, but it is a fraction too late to see the blitzing B gap linebacker who knifes through to hit Hurd 2 yards deep in the backfield. Of course we don't score, but just a HUGE reason this line has struggled to this point. You cannot block what you don't/can't see. None of them stem with heads up. Their heads will always turn to what they're blocking instead of stemming, and "feeling" rather than seeing with their "stem" hand.

I am actually VERY encouraged by re-watching as I began to wonder if it wasn't pure talent that was getting them beaten, but instead, it is technique issues that can, and will be easily repaired. I know a lot of people on here don't like Mo, let me make clear that I have worked with a lot of O line coaches throughout my career, and while he may not be the most likable guy, he is a VERY good o line coach.

The receivers will go as Malone, Jennings, and Byrd go.
First and most importantly, I picked Jennings to have a breakout year, and the reason I did that is because of his mentality. It isn't bragging, it isn't false bravado, it isn't flashy, showboat mentality that I am speaking of, it is line up and every play he is trying to take your heart from your chest. In fact, some of the reason he plays as hard as he does is because he feels, and has always felt like people were better than him, and he has something to prove.

Malone. What can be said/ He has finally stepped up, and taken on the persona that everybody originally thought he would. Good for him. Right now, he is in the top 5 receivers in the entire SEC. The more confidence he gains, the better he will be.

Byrd. IMO, the absolute best player on this team. Could be an All-American as a d back, but will be an All-American as a receiver. It is FREAKY how athletic and natural he is. In fact one of the crazy things about Byrd is he is a small guy, but is absolutely the hardest guy on the team to tackle. Have you ever seen anyone tackle him one on one? Nope, and it's likely you won't. Some guys are just naturally hard to tackle, and he is one. I think he would be a terrific back. In fact,he could be a SEC level starter at half back right now. I am not sure he could carry the load but on the flip side to that, those type guys rarely if ever get injured.
A comparison to him would be Percy Harvin? Also maybe Darren Sproiles, I am not sure, as I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it's on the tip of my tongue. No matter, this kid is special and we HAVE GOT TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET HIM THE BALL MORE..
I know people will talk about, "there aren't enough touches to go around", but that crap don't matter. Not trying to keep them happy, the more he touches the ball the more likely we are to win. Just wait until Debo figures out how to get him the ball in space. y'all think Alvin is special, this kid will blow your freakin mind.

Speaking of Debo, not a lot can be said that hasn't been. He called by far his best game, but he called what I believe is the best game called at Tennessee since Cut was here, and yes that includes the greatest Offensive Coordinator to ever live Kiffin.
Debo should be praised so much more than he has been. Yes, I know sometimes he gets conservative and will drive you insane, but he has proven, the more pressure on him the better he does. He will have them ready for Georgia, btw, a game in which I think we are a match-up nightmare for them on BOTH sides of the ball. Could Debo do some things better? Sure.

I haven't seen one post lamenting how badly they hate this offensive scheme, but when it's firing on all cylinders, it is too pretty to be mad at. The problem is, it is hard to make it all work in concert, but from a schematic concept, HOLY SHITE, it is a freaking nightmare for D-coordinators. Believe me, Chavis, and Saban are losing time and sleep over this offense, and the weapons that are at CMD's disposal. If this team will continue to improve, take this stretch one game, one series, hell, one play at a time, they could quite literally be sitting at 7-0 and ranked number 1 in all the land after this guantlet. The trick is to not get awed by the moment.

Anyway, just a few observations from me. Feel free to add, or subtract, or flame as you like. It feels too damn good to beat those arrogant pricks. Next up, let's take it to the leg humpers. Usually all ya gotta do is give them one good kick, and they'll cow down in the corner and take their beating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News