ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at Roster Numbers

TaylormadeVol

Jan 5, 2008
Was looking at the current roster, plus the 20 commits, plus the 1 existing transfer we have accepted (Mincey) and I have us at a total of 78 scholarship players.

This excludes the below 6 players that are currently up in the air as to whether or not they will accept the Covid year.

K - C Mcgrath
P - P Brooks
OL - K Calbert
DL - A Solomon
DB - T Flowers
LB - J Mitchell

Assuming we will have 2 scholarship special team players at P/K that gets us to 80 scholarship players. I assume the 2 listed above will come back for 1 more year but regardless we are going to need players at both positions.

If we penalize ourselves with 5 scholarships in 2022 then we would currently be full with 80 scholarship players.

Therefore any further additions of returning players like Calbert, Mitchell, or Flowers would require that same number of players to depart the program.

Below is our current numbers by position group.

DB - 12 (short 2-3 players as we start 5)
DL - 15 including the hybrid ends (short 1-2)
LB - 8 (good spot as we only play 2)
OL - 18
QB - 3
RB - 6
TE - 5
WR - 11 (short 1-2 players)

After looking at the roster numbers, how we played in the bowl game, it is glaring that we need to add it least 2-3 DB’s from the portal this off-season. We start and play it least 5 on every snap and they are big on coverage teams as well.

In theory to take Flowers, Calbert, and Mitchell back for next year we would need 3 players to leave for the portal. We then would like to add 6-7 more players this off season through the portal or late additions to our signing class. That means we basically need 10 players to leave which is quite a few. That reduces down to 5 if we allow ourselves to go to 85 scholarship players (no Scholly reductions).

I could create a list of 10-12 candidates to leave for the portal, just reading the tea leaves and playing time, but that feels like a lot of players to lose.
The numbers always work themselves out, because they have to, but we are razor thin at DB.

Landing Verse and getting 2-3 dbs should be the biggest focus this off-season and I will be intrigued to see how this shakes out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News