ADVERTISEMENT

One week away (I'm talking about the season, not On3), it's crazy to think of the fan apathy there was just 18 months ago

NYC Vol

May 29, 2001
Brentwood
I was right there with most of the fanbase. Coaching staff fired, "dozens of Level I violations", new AD to be hired and then a new coach. Recruiting was swooning. We had just gone 3-7 in what could argued as the worst season in UT history (I would say Butch's 0-8 in SEC was worse). Staring down the barrel of major probation and a "who the hell is going to take this job" coaching search.

As of today, I don't think I'm overstating it enough how much of a complete 180 this program has had. What most considered a "meh" hire has energized this fanbase with one of the best, if not THE best, offensive system in the country. NCAA issues likely in the past. Fringe top 25 team with expectations to be 2nd best in the East. A well oiled NIL machine that is helping us keep and gather the best players in the country.

Again, just amazing to think about where we sat 18 short months ago. Honestly couldn't ask for anything more up to this point. A 4-0 September and this program will have incredible momentum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News