ADVERTISEMENT

Overlooked in all the Barnes talk (pro and con)

VolRiver

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2016
Townsend, TN
I’m a fan.
If you go to games, you have absolutely no doubts about the guys competitive fire. He is the most intense guy in the gym. His total focus is on winning THIS game. Every game.
Think about this: He has two new coaches on this staff. That requires a ton of work, getting them in them in the groove with your approach, making the coaching team a cohesive unit. At the same time, he has completely overhauled the offense. All those complaints about the game leaving him behind, antiquated tactics, can be laid to rest. He has proven that he will play freshmen and trust them with significant roles. His decision to give playing time to Uros early in the season proved to be excellent on a couple of fronts: Uros is a contributor and when Aidoo and BHH started playing regularly they were ready. So all those complaints about who is getting playing time in December also proved unfounded. And his idea to pair experienced bigs with the freshman worked great. So we now can play two bigs or small ball effectively. And how about that Ziegler kid? Pretty good find, huh?
The last criticism is success in March, even though he personally has a better record than UT in its history. I have felt that his teams often seem wore down at the end of the season. He has used a slightly different approach to the rotation this year, especially with the bigs. The way he has used Uros, Bailey, Fulky (second half of the season) and even Mashack, looks like to me like he’s trying to take the wear and tear over the season down just a notch. I think we are prepared for a strong tournament run. That monkey could be chunked very shortly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News