ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from rewatch of Tennessee's win over Vandy

Ben_McKee

Apr 2, 2021
Happy Monday morning. For the final time this regular season, here's my notes and thoughts from rewatching Tennessee's win over Vanderbilt.

Hendon Hooker Passing Chart
Left 20+: N/AMiddle 20+: N/ARight 20+: 0/1
Left 11-19: N/AMiddle 11-19: DPI, 0/1Right 11-19: N/A
Left 0-10: 1/2, 7 yardsMiddle 0-10: 1/2, 23 yardsRight 0-10: 6/8, 106 yards, 2 TDs
Left BLOS: 1/1, 5 yardsMiddle BLOS: N/ARight BLOS: 1/2, 14 yards

It wasn't a very active night for Hooker throwing the football. Only 17 attempts and threw a pass with pressure in his face just once.

- Vandy brought a 4-man rush 41% of the time: Hooker was 4/6, 39 yards, drew a pass interference
- Brought a 5-man rush 22% of the time and Hooker killed them as he has done all season: Was 4/4, 58 yards, TD
- Vandy brought 6 three times and Hooker was just 1/3, but the one completion was to Tillman for a 46-yard TD
- Against a 3-man rush, Hooker was 1/4 for 14 yards

- throwing on third down, Hooker was 1/3 for 24 yards and a touchdown.

- By my count, I thought Tennessee was successful 71% of the time. Took them some time to get going, but when they did, they opened up some really nice holes for Jabari Small and Jaylen Wright.

As for Mike Wright, here's how he performed:

Mike Wright Passing Chart
Left 20+: N/AMiddle 20+: 1/1, 23 yardsRight 20+: 1/2, 56 yards, TD
Left 11-19: 1/4, 17 yardsMiddle 11-19: N/ARight 11-19: 0/3
Left 0-10: 3/6, 30 yards, pick-6Middle 0-10: 3/4, 18 points, 2-point conversionRight 0-10: 6/10, 51 yards
Left BLOS: 1/1, 0 yardsMiddle BLOS: N/ARight BLOS: 2/2, 9 yards

- I thought Mike Wright actually played pretty well given his youth and what's around him. Didn't really make a bad decision. The pick-six was a result of pressure from Jeremy Banks and being late with the ball. I see a skillset with Wright. Has a nice arm, can run. There's a skillset there. But unfortunately for him, think he's working behind the 8-ball.

- Wright was not good against a 5-man pressure, however. When UT brought an extra rusher, Wright was 0-for-7 and threw the pick-six to Theo Jackson.
- Against a 4-man rush, which Tennessee brought 61% of the time, Wright was 16/22 for 176 yards and a TD.
- Wright was 1/2 for 8 yards on three different 3-man pass rushes. Was 2/3 for 20 yards against five 6-man rushes.

- Against pressure, Wright was 3/12 for 81 yards and a touchdown. The Hail Mary was against pressure. Was actually an impressive play by Wright to get out of the pocket and give himself enough time to chunk it down the field.

- On third down, Wright was 5/10 for 48 yards and picked up first downs on just three of those throws.

- I counted 7 Tennessee missed tackles. Warren Burrell and Jaylen McCollough each missed 2, Aaron Beasley, Jeremy Banks and Alontae Taylor each missed one.

- I considered Vanderbilt to be successful on 55% of its run, which feels right because it was boom or bust for Tennessee's defensive front. They were either in the backfield or getting blown off the ball, particularly on 4th down which was very frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News