ADVERTISEMENT

Football 10 things I think...

Brent_Hubbs

May 29, 2001
Tennessee and Jeremy Pruitt find themselves in a key road game to start the second half of the season as they travel to Arkansas. We empty the notebook to close out game week with the week 6 installment of 10 Things I Think I Think

1. Familiar foes — Obviously, Jim Chaney and Sam Pittman know each other well working at Tennessee, Arkansas and Georgia together. Chaney is also pretty familiar with Barry Odom going against him four times and winning all four match up’s.
In Chaney’s first match-up against an Odom defense in 2016, the Bulldogs rallied for a 28-27 win. Chaney threw it 55 times and couldn’t run the ball rushing for 101 yards on 38 attempts. Last year was kind of the same story as JG threw for 415 but the Vols rushed for just 111 on 32 carries.

In 2017 and 2018 it was a rout and Chaney’s offense were good on the ground rushing for 370 yards in 2017 and 185 in 2018.

Interestingly, Chaney’s offenses against an Odom defense has averaged 17.2 yards a completion including 18 yards last year. In other words, Chaney has attacked pretty well vertically as they have averaged 36 attempts a game. No one in the SEC knows Chaney better than Pittman how do they elect to defend the Vols?

2. Don’t force things — This might be the biggest challenge of the night for the Vols. I noted in point #1 one how much Chaney has thrown it down field against Barry Odom in their previous meetings. It’s not as easy to do against this defense because they often times rush three and drop eight into coverage trying to bait the quarterback into mistakes by forcing the ball instead of taking what the defense gives you. Ole Miss’ impatience meant 6 interceptions and a Razorback win. Mississippi State’s impatience meant 3 interceptions and an Arkansas win. Auburn only averaged 10 yards a completion but averaged 6.3 three yards on the ground as they ran it 41 times and threw it 29 times. Arkansas’ opponents are averaging 9 yards a completion. They make you check the ball down and not let you get over the top with many throws. Of the 130 completions against them, the Razorbacks have given up only 12 have been for 20+ yards.

Can Chaney and the QB’s be patient and take what the defense gives you driving the ball down the field instead of chunking it.

tenor-3.gif

3. Stop falling asleep at halftime — I don’t know what’s done or said at the the half, but Tennessee’s return to the field to start the second half has been an absolute disaster. One of the most puzzling things I have seen. In five games, the defense has given up 2 touchdowns and a field goal in their first defensive series of the second half. The field goal is not their fault as that was the fumble at Georgia.

Offensively, it’s been worse. Jim Chaney’s unit scored touchdowns on their opening second half series against South Carolina and Missouri, but the last three games it’s been fumble, 3 and out, fumble.

In the Vols last three third quarters, Tennessee’s offense has 7 points, 128 yards and 5 first downs.

4. Get lined up — Tennessee’s defense has struggled at times with up tempo offenses. The Vols have called more defensive time outs than offensive time outs in 2020. Tennessee shuttles defensive linemen on and off the field constantly and it’s bit them in the rear on more than one occasion. Arkansas will push tempo Saturday night to see if they can catch the Vols with too many man on the field, wrong personnel on the field or simply not lined up. I think Tennessee has to get the play in earlier and they have to be organized to handle Arkansas’ tempo.

5. Value the football — Arkansas has overachieved by everyone’s expectations because of the effort they play with and because they have been opportunistic in forcing turnovers. The Razorbacks are 2-3 and should be 3-2 had it not been for the officials at Auburn not giving them a turnover at the end of the game. In the Razorbacks two wins they are +7 in the turnover margin. In their three losses they are -1.

For Tennessee, it’s been all about the turnovers. In their two wins they haven’t turned it over. In their three losses, they have turned it over 8 times are are -3 in the turnover margin.

It’s a simple formula, he who owns the football wins. Can this offense stop turning over the football? Can the defense catch the football with the opponent throws it to them? They couldn’t against Alabama who should have thrown three interceptions in the first half.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News