ADVERTISEMENT

OT: electricians OTB please shower me with knowledge

pantone151

Dec 27, 2008
TL/dR what is the root problem?

Some background; I’ve been in my home for just under 3 years. I have a breaker panel that has half GFI breakers (for the living room, master and kitchen). This subdivision has buried power lines. Since we’ve lived here we’ve had random times where the power flickers or cuts off and then back on. I’ve replaced 1 GFI breaker (fridge outlet), and need to replace another (cooktop and vent).

Two weeks ago Eta came through Birmingham and that night we lost power probably 15 times. Sometimes it came right back on, sometimes it took it a minute or two. In the morning the only lingering problem we had was the GFI receptacle in the garage tripped (never had happened before). I thought it was weird as it has nothing plugged into it, however the other two outlets on that circuit do - a deep freezer and the garage door opener.

fast forward to nights ago -a very calm, weather less night and the power went out 3 times. It tripped every GFI breaker in the panel, and tripped the GFI outlet in the garage. This was the first time this has happened where multiple breakers trip.

am I just getting crap power from Alabama power, or do I have a crappily wired home? Is it a mix? It’s a new home and I’ve never had this many power and breaker panel related problems in my life anywhere else I’ve ever lived. Other houses on my street are having intermittent power issues however no one seems to have the same issues with their breakers.

I’m at wits end with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News