ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts that I’m sure will get some laughs and some calling me a pumper, idiot, etc.. so come on in and go for it.

The Artful Dodger 7

Jan 4, 2004
Should we be better than we are? Absolutely. But the amount of people on here acting like we are a blue blood and falling from grace is out of hand. Barnes has issues that need to be resolved starting with the rotation and finding an offensive identity.

The rage on the board makes me guess many didn’t start really getting into basketball until the Bruce days. If you were around for Wade, Kevin or Buzz you wouldn’t be so hastily ushering out Barnes. Does Barnes need to adjust and improve in areas? No doubt. But this program can be and has been in much worse shape than it is.

Growing up going to games during Wade Houston’s tenure all I wanted was to be a consistent tournament team. We hired Jerry Green and did that.

Once we started making the tourney every year I wanted to start competing for the SEC title and being a consistent top 25 team. We hired Bruce Pearl and we did that.

Since Bruce I’ve wanted nothing more than to add another date on that lonely elite 8 banner hanging from the rafters. Does Barnes achieve that? I don’t know. It may take someone else (Forbes I’m looking at you).

I say all that because success leads to heightened and sometimes unrealistic expectations. Anytime I get upset I try to remind myself we are a constant tourney and top 25 team. And for a time that was all I dreamed possible. If you can’t remember the struggles you can’t appreciate the progress.

Does that mean we shouldn’t expect more or be frustrated? No. But calm down and let the season play out. Basketball is all about getting hot at the right time. Hopefully this team has it in them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News