ADVERTISEMENT

This wasn’t a “same old Barnes” tourney loss. Sure, there can be some criticism

NYC Vol

May 29, 2001
Brentwood
But I don’t think this was nearly as bad as the loss to Loyola or to Purdue where we put ourselves at a huge disadvantage.

My biggest criticism, and I’ve said it throughout the season, is we waste so many minutes on sub optimal lineups. We blitzed Michigan the last 10 mins of the first half with a small lineup. And then we play the first 5 mins of the 2nd half with the big lineup and give up the lead.

To be fair, we still had s 6 point lead with the ball with 8 to go. Now, one could argue that the lead could have been double digit at that point if we didn’t waste 15 mins with the bigger lineup that had trouble defending and also clogged the paint on offense.

I’m also seeing people say Santi choked. He didn’t choke. He’s a limited player that needs people to set him up. Michigan had a great gameplan to take him out of the game by not leaving him and making him drive. I think he had two decent shots from 3 and made one. He forced 3 others.

We’re a perimeter oriented team. We play best when the ball is popping and we’re shooting open shots. We passed up open shots to shoot poor shots later on. And then we just missed a few open ones.

I was disappointed we didn’t keep going to KC pick and roll vs Dickenson. KC had that one turnover when we were up 6 and it seemed like we went away from it.

All in all, it was a fun season but to me, it’s disappointing. Too often we’re rationalizing our postseason failures by saying “the regular season was fun”. It was. And the SECT was great. But I’m reminded at this point every year that this is a postseason sport. Michigan went 17-14 and now they have an awesome week ahead of them looking forward to the possibility of a Final Four with 2 more wins. Not going to say the season is a failure because it’s not. But if you’re not saying it’s disappointing, I think you’re lying to yourself.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News