ADVERTISEMENT

Possible disaster for CFP

So the Alabama win was huge because it gives the vols wiggle room of having a good playoff shot even if we lose to Georgia and finish with 1 loss and no SEC championship. I was thinking today though about a really weird situation for the playoffs.

What happens if Tennessee finishes with 1 loss to Georgia, ole miss beats Alabama and makes it to the sec championship and plays an undefeated Georgia.

The SEC would have 1 undefeated team and 2 with one loss. We would top ole miss due to SoS if they lost that game but how does the playoff committee leave out those teams if the games are close?

What it Bama beats UGA in the championship game and you end up with 3 one loss teams who only have losses to a top 5 team?

I’m obviously hoping the vols win out but very happy to know that we could possibly end up not having to play the sec championship game, have a loss to the #1 team in the country and the hardest SoS by miles. No way the Vols miss the playoffs in that situation.

This year is going to be a disaster for the CFPs current format. You’re possibly going to have 3-4 SEC teams at one loss. Ohio state and Michigan. Then throw in Clemson if they do what’s expected.

Your playoff would be:

SEC Champion

ACC Champion

Big Ten Champion

4th spot (2-3 one loss SEC teams, 1 one loss Big Ten team, what if TCU goes undefeated?, UCLA wins pac 12 and is undefeated?)

Obviously things could and will change but these teams are all legitimate playoff teams if they win out (I realize some play each other):

Ohio State

Michigan

TCU

UCLA

Georgia

Tennessee

Alabama

Ole Miss

Clemson

Syracuse (who knows but the other undefeated ACC team)

No matter who the 4 are that make it so many people are going to be upset and rightfully so.

GA defense

How do we know how great GA has the best defense. They have played a soft schedule. Their turnover ratio is even. Our ratio is + 8. We have a tougher schedule. Ga is no 76 and they have only played one top 25 teams. We may not win but the data showed we should. So why are we an underdog. Does it have anything to do with trying to drive up betting.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT