ADVERTISEMENT

Any experienced 5k runners on the board? Question about what it would take to improve my time

footballfanatic09

Dec 15, 2005
So I just turned 37, and during this "stay home" time I've run at least a 5k every day. Not every day has been going all out. A few times just a nice jog really. For a little background, it's by far the most running I've done during a two week period in my life. Lifelong ball player. Mainly football and track in high school(sprinter). Only run a few 5k races with friends while in school then a race every now and then over the last decade. But always involved in pick up basketball, church league softball, etc...

I just ran my best ever time of 22:54. In that run my first mile was my best mile time ever, 6:25.(I believe I've been capable of running a better mile but I never tried running for time and I can't say for sure.)

I'm wondering what it would take for me to get down to 20 minutes flat and how I ought to see each mile paced out. As in how to train throughout a week and how to approach an ideal run for a good time. I'm sure my mile splits of 6:25, 7:39 and 8:06 aren't the best strategy.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News