ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Program Moving Forward

MSorange

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2010
Using an away game at Rupp as any kind of indictment of the program is crazy, and that is not what this is. However, when you watch our games against the upper tier of the SEC, we are a middle of the road team in the conference.

Unsubstantiated hype each of the last three years has led to the perception we’re a contender when we aren’t even one in our own conference. I’ve fallen victim to it myself, and maybe understandably so considering we’ve had back-to-back top 5 recruiting classes and Barnes built such an impressive program over his first 4 seasons.

The past 3 seasons have been marred by the same issues, and when you look at the teams’s progress (or lack-thereof) and with recruiting appearing to fall off, it’s hard to see this program actually reaching levels to which it’s been perceived at in recent years.

I don’t think you fire Barnes, but it’s hard to see a scenario where we’re anything more than a middle of the road SEC team under his leadership moving forward. Maybe that’s still good enough to qualify for the tournament considering the strength of the conference, but looking at the roster it seems like that’d require some overachieving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News