ADVERTISEMENT

Peyton VS. ……………….

mplsvol

Sep 19, 2006
This is my long "Magna Carta" length note to Baislio that he published this AM. Take it and post elsewhere if you'd like. Yes I know they are some grammatical errors.

I grew up a fan of the Michigan Wolverines. My father is both an undergrad alum and law school alum. He was the Michigan alumni President for our region for a number of years. My brother and sister both graduated from Michigan. As the oldest I grew up hoping to go there as I would go to TV viewing parties as a child. I loved Anthony Carter, Butch Wollfolk, Jim Harbaugh and Desmond Howard. But even more I loved their basketball team and players such as Roy Tarpley, Richard Relford, Antoine Joubert, Glen Rice, Terry Mills and Chris Webber. I desperately wanted to go to school at Michigan but my grades weren’t good enough for an out state student. I ended up making my way down to Knoxville to attend Tennessee. There my love of college football and basketball switched. I couldn’t help but get swept away with the passion around southern football at Tennessee. My last year at Tennessee was Peyton Manning’s freshman year at Tennessee. When Peyton became the starting quarterback I wasn’t feeling it. Another former top 5 high school quarterback was a freshman. His name was Brandon Stewart. He more resembled Heath Shuler the runner-up Heisman for Tennessee the previous year. I didn’t like Peyton’s “style”. It came to a point where I believe they were playing Memphis or Kentucky in Neyland Stadium and Peyton threw a “worm burner” on a crossing route where the receiver was wide open 15 yards down the field. The receiver jumped around in disgust. Many in the crowd booed Peyton including myself.

A lot has changed since then. I was inspired to write this after hearing about Michigan alum Tom Brady being the “best QB of all-time” all week leading up to the Super Bowl and after watching the game – another Patriots dramatic win. I have no idea who the best QB or player of all time is. The media always seems to know. But I know who the best QB I have seen since I began watching football religiously in 1980 is. Peyton Manning. And it’s not close.

Peyton and comparisons: For whatever reason Peyton was scrutinized overzealously his whole career. Media/fans trying to compare him to others to knock him off his perceived pedestal. Maybe it’s because he came across “goofy”, “too southern – aw shucks”, because they didn’t like his “antics” at the line of scrimmage, the fact he’d have a big red spot on his forehead the result of a helmet that was always too tight or the Bill Simmons coined “Peyton Manning face” (Simmons is funny guy and major Boston sports homer - those who thought they were cool would read him and take his opinion as their own and “parrot” them everywhere). First it was Josh Booty vs. Peyton for the best QB in high school. Then it was Peyton vs. the aforementioned Brandon Stewart as to which freshman QB at UT was better. Than it was Peyton vs. Danny Wuerfful the Florida Gators QB an incredibly effective QB in his coaches system but no one in the media would mention that (or the fact that Florida had Bob Stoops as DC to go along with Spurrier). Than it was Charles Woodson as to who would win the Heisman trophy. That is when I understood the power of the media in shaping beliefs. I was 25 years old and was not as “worldly” as to the power of the media. The media (ABC/ESPN) served up Ron Dayne to begin the year – nope. Served up Tavian Banks after a huge start to the season – nope. Served up Curtis Enis after good games and Penn St’s unbeaten start of season – nope. Who can we have to beat Peyton for the Heisman? Charles Woodson – the “top player on the top defense on the nation’s #1 ranked team”. It turned into a runaway train – a total fiasco. It is when I realized that the Heisman is just a beauty contest and a flavor of the moment that the media can shape and thus ruin (nothing against Woodson who is one of the best DB’s ever to play but a DB winning Heisman regardless of his 10 catches, a couple of rushes and 1 punt touchdown – nope). Than it was the Ryan Leaf comparisons as to who was the best QB in the NFL Draft. At the same time there were comparisons to Tee Martin the new QB at Tennessee who led UT to the national title the year after Peyton was gone. “He must be better than Peyton because he led them to the championship”. Than when Peyton started performing at a very high level in the NFL he began to be compared to Brett Favre as to who is the best QB in the league. Then came Tom Brady on the team with the genius coach who played on an all-around balanced TEAM in the most disciplined “system” ever seen in the modern NFL. Than it was comparisons to his brother Eli who after the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl for the 2nd time many in the media were saying he was better than Peyton because HE beats the Patriots and HE has two rings (the ring argument being the most stupid argument of all-time for football fans – a total media concoction). Until Peyton started making commercials/SNL appearances and became endeared as a personality is when the “armchair Joe’s” started to look at him differently (BTW - 95% of sports fans fall into the “armchair Joe” category – just take what the media says and make it my own opinion/reality). And then the Colts finally won a Super Bowl – but that wasn’t enough. Peyton’s “legacy” wouldn’t be complete with 1 more or maybe two more or if he won two more it would be three more Super Bowl wins even though full teams/organizations win those.

Peyton and Defense: Peyton was initially run down not only because Tennessee couldn’t beat Florida the 3 times he started against them (Defense gave up 62 points as a Soph and a Jr/Sr he played ok but was going against the national champ Spurrier/Stoops combo). Than he was run down due to the Colts losing their first 3 playoff games that he started. “Peyton can’t win the big one”. He has to win a playoff game until he is thought of as a winner. As soon as the team won playoff games it changed to “Peyton can’t win the big one until HE wins a Super Bowl”. Football is the ultimate team sport. The defenses Peyton played on in his entire career had an average points allowed ranking of 15 (think of where that would have been had Peyton not controlled the clock at the line of scrimmage on offense). Right in the middle of the league. In the four years that Peyton’s teams made it to the Super Bowl their points allowed ranking was 14. The two years they won the Super Bowl their average was also 14. In Tom Brady’s career the Pats have had an average points allowed of 8th. In the 7 years they have made the Super Bowl their points allowed average was 5th and the 5 years they won it they averaged 3rd. For Peyton’s entire Colts career the O and D were built around him. One stat I also recall hearing is one of those years 2006-2008 timeframe, the Colts had the fewest possessions in the league by over 10 but were the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring team in the league. The level of efficiency that the Colts offense played with has never been seen before or since. The fact that the Colts O and Peyton’s managing of the clock was a huge portion of their D had not been seen previously. We may never see a player in the game of football that has that much of an effect on both the O and D in this ultimate team sport.

Peyton and receivers: I have heard the argument that Peyton had great receivers and Brady had bums outside of a couple years. Is this for real? Marvin Harrison is deserving of the Hall of Fame. Reggie Wayne was a very good receiver that was among many receivers who benefited from the era in which he played (and the QB he played with). Should not be considered for Hall. Demaryius Thomas is the 2nd most gifted receiver Peyton played with behind Marvin but he will need more years of QB’s not named Simien or Tebow to help him however he is a great talent. Welker was a great receiver with the Dolphins (making Cleo Lemmon look serviceable) and the Pats. He was past his prime with the Broncos. Eric Decker is above average after that who? Dallas Clark/Julius Thomas/Ken Dilger/ Marcus Pollard/Jacob Tamme all fine tight ends but no one that stood out by themselves without Peyton making them. There were many no names. The Pats have had mostly no names but it’s not about names with the Pats because it’s more about military Belichick execution that is demanded. Always interesting the Pats lead the NFL in percentage of Caucasian players = system. However, in Brady’s best two season statistically he benefitted from having the most dominant WR of all time when motivated in Randy Moss. Moss was at the height of his motivation (and Brady would just throw the ball up for grabs) along with a in his prime Wes Welker who was one of the best slot guys ever. His other best statistical season came with Gronk and crew – the most physically gifted TE ever.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News